cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gen 5 speeds extremely slow

lm2
New Poster

Gen 5 speeds extremely slow

I have had Hughsnet for a while now unable to get out of my contract due to the cost of doing so. It was great during the honeymoon phase (trail Period). But then after a few months I couldn't even watch Netflix or any type video from anywhere even facebook. I complained and complained, they blamed it on every thing on my side. I ended up buying a new laptop and TV, didn't work any better than the old ones. They said go to netflix and lower your settings, I put it on the lowest setting, still don't work. I can't even tell when I have data and when I don't. I have ran speed test after speed test with results as low as dail-up, even when it says I have plenty of data. I've even tried at times to send them a message thru their site and it locks up and I can't even contact them. I can't figure out why the Better Business Bearu doesn't do something about them. I am at my wits end with this company and pray someday God will judge them for the lies they tell and people they take advantage of.

4 REPLIES 4
Professor

Re: Gen 5 speeds extremely slow

Inability to stream may have to do with latency and/or congestion.  Maybe more people are now on your beam so it's harder to stream stuff.   This may be something you need to live with, as satellite internet has limited broadband that needs to be shared with all the users on a beam.  While it's possible to stream, this is not the best use of satellite internet. Maybe you have other options you can rely on? 

The Better Business Bureau is not a government agency. They are a middle man between consumers and companies, and they award companies a "grade" for their responsiveness to consumer issues. Hughesnet has an A+.  They(edit: meaning the Bureau) can't do anything else but provide an avenue of communication between you and Hughesnet.

If you would like the corporate reps on this site to look at speed issues, please follow the protocol detailed here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

The reps will likely not escalate speed issues until you have followed the steps in the document and posted results here. 

I've had the same experience. I pay for the business service, because I work from home. I have to edit videos and transmit large files of photos as part of my job. Hughesnet 5G's "same as broadband" claims are simply bogus. A turtle on a string would be faster. Their "customer service" is even slower. I had an outage that took them 5 days to fix, even though I've been paying them $12 a month for "expedited" service. And I don't want to hear a bunch of techno-babble about latency. I don't want to jump through their hoops in hopes they'll "escalate" my claim. I just want them to deliver what they promised.  

Distinguished Professor IV

@LorenSteffy wrote:

Hughesnet 5G's "same as broadband" claims are simply bogus. A turtle on a string would be faster.  

For you, maybe.  HughesNet Gen5 works just fine here.

If you'd like help, you should call 800-347-3272 for Business account support.    

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->