Gen5 - Hourly Usage

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidwalters1
Freshman

Gen5 - Hourly Usage

Is there a way to see usage by hour under Gen5? There were two ways to do this under Gen4: 1) in the usage reporting, (but that necessitated a two-hour delay to be able to see data), and 2) in the diagnostics menu of the modem.  Neither of these seem to be available in Gen5.  The usage reporting seems to be by daily buckets only now.  The diagnostics menu of the Gen5 modem seems to have blocked users from seeing specific data that was available before.

13 REPLIES 13
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Sadly the hour-by-hour usage history display is no more.

It used to provide a rolling 24 hour readout like this:

RackMultipart20170110-119070-1s40a39-MyAccount_History_Meter_snip_inline.PNG

The above has now been replaced with the following:

Hughes usage.PNG

You could install Glasswire on all Windows based machines and that would provide very detailed usage data:

Glasswire.PNG

Glasswire can be configured to show usage details per time period as short as the last three minutes. Glasswire is available in both free and paid versions and the free version works very well.

www.glasswire.com

The problem is that Glasswire will only report the usage of the machine it is installed on rather than network wide. In many cases it is wireless network security, or the lack of it, that allows unknown devices or programs/processes to use data.

To that end, you could disable the HT2000w wireless functions and add your own Router that has the ability to track all usage passing through the network both wired and wireless.

I have an Asus RT-AC3100 that has a Traffic Analyzer function that will display usage per device per day.

Traffic 1 snip.PNG

You can then view statistics overall including hours of occurance:

Traffic Statistics 1 snip.PNG

From there you can zero in on the data used and the hours of usage by an individual device:

Nook Usage.PNG

Honestly, measuring at the router level, that being the central point of the network, is the only place to take usage measurements that is going to capture every device and connection path.

There are other Asus models other than the somewhat costly RT-AC3100 that have the Traffic Analyzer function.

I have multiple devices on my network, not all controlled by me sadly.  I do monitor usage at the router, and want to compare that to the modem.  If I have something configured or operating such that it causes a lossy connection (e.g., a slow client that can't handle the data speed the modem is feeding it), that's what I'm trying to troubleshoot.  The live data in the modem helped me at least identify and troubleshoot that as it was happening when I have the time to pay close attention. Historical hourly data helped me when I couldn't do it live.

@Gwalk900 wrote:

I have an Asus RT-AC3100 that has a Traffic Analyzer function that will display usage per device per day.

I have a WD Router which I installed third party Firmware (Gargoyle-Router).  There is a Usage meter and Quota feature that I feel are very useful.   With my old HN9000 Legacy system which was daily usage it worked very well.  With the low 375 MB daily usage I didnt really monitor the usage reported between the Router and HughesNet Usage Meter to see how accurate they were.   Now that I have Gen5 I have been checking both regularly to see how accurate they are.  I have noticed the HughesNet Usage Meter has been 200 MB - 500 MB  higher than what the router usage shows.  Also I checked GlassWire and another Usage Meter that I have installed and both these are close to what my Router usage shows.   If the Gen5 usage is going to be 200 MB - 500 MB  more than my inital usage I feel I will be using all of my Monthly limit fairly quickly each month.   (I currently am on 20 day resets so my usage resets about every 3 hours - I compare usages every 2-3 hrs after the resets)

@wildcats198308 wrote:

If the Gen5 usage is going to be 200 MB - 500 MB  more than my inital usage I feel I will be using all of my Monthly limit fairly quickly each month.

Check to see if you are measuring at 1000 or 1024 per MB

Another item to check is data lost to retransmission errors.

@Gwalk900 wrote:

@wildcats198308 wrote:

If the Gen5 usage is going to be 200 MB - 500 MB  more than my inital usage I feel I will be using all of my Monthly limit fairly quickly each month.

Check to see if you are measuring at 1000 or 1024 per MB

Another item to check is data lost to retransmission errors.

I forgot about the 1000 MB HughesNet  usage.  I'm not exactly sure how to check and change between 1000 or 1024 MB in the programs that I have.   (Such as my router Gargoyle Firmware .. I'm sure there is a way)  

I thought I checked everything after using under 1 GB and it was also showing higher data on HughesNet.  It should be close if under 1000 MB.   I will monitor the usage in the next few days to see how it is.  

@wildcats198308 wrote:

I forgot about the 1000 MB HughesNet  usage.  I'm not exactly sure how to check and change between 1000 or 1024 MB in the programs that I have.   (Such as my router Gargoyle Firmware .. I'm sure there is a way)  

Here is an example of Networx settings options:

Example Networx.PNG

I have used Networx in the past.  But I have not been using it lately.  I might install it again.

I currently have Bandwidth Meter Pro - which I purchased when I first got HughesNet in 2008 to help monitor usage.   They only have a 30 day trial.   I tested and tried several usage meters and found BMP to be decent so paid the one time charge of $19.99 for full usage.  The only option I see is Kilobytes per second (KB/s) and Kilobits per second (kbps).   I dont know if that is just speed or data usage.

With GlassWire, are they 1000 or 1024?

After looking around in my Routers Firmware I could not find anything to change.  I might post in their forum to see if there is a way.

Edit... @Gwalk900   I was looking at downloading Networx.  Is it free to use?  I see it shows a paid version.

My version of Networx is free:

Free Networx.PNG

Humm...  Mine shows Trial expires in 30 days.  I thought it used to be free.  I will have to look around and see if I can find Freeware version.  I think I already deleted the Setup file I had from a few years ago.

WOW, looks like it went comercial only. Not even listed in their free 'legacy' software.

I have the exe in a file. Check your PM's

Well, that didn't work:

Message.PNG

For Gen5 does HughesNet "support" (or encourage) the use of a router other than the one built into the HT2000W? 

Is there any chance that HughesNet will upgrade the HT2000W built-in router's capabilities to include something as capable as the Asus RT-AC3100's Traffic Analyzer function?  You would think that HughesNet's support load would be greatly reduced by empowering their users with such a capable and necessary tool.

@Gwalk900 wrote:

To that end, you could disable the HT2000w wireless functions and add your own Router that has the ability to track all usage passing through the network both wired and wireless.

Traffic 1 snip.PNG

You can then view statistics overall including hours of occurance:

Traffic Statistics 1 snip.PNG

From there you can zero in on the data used and the hours of usage by an individual device:

Nook Usage.PNG

Honestly, measuring at the router level, that being the central point of the network, is the only place to take usage measurements that is going to capture every device and connection path.

There are other Asus models other than the somewhat costly RT-AC3100 that have the Traffic Analyzer function.

@motobojo wrote:

For Gen5 does HughesNet "support" (or encourage) the use of a router other than the one built into the HT2000W?

Is there any chance that HughesNet will upgrade the HT2000W built-in router's capabilities to include something as capable as the Asus RT-AC3100's Traffic Analyzer function? 

Until now the only router that Hughes actually provided 'support' for was a single D-Link model that could be purchased at the time of service install. That of course is using the common everyday definition of 'router'.

Since the days of the first self-hosted Hughes Modem (DW6000) all Hughes modems had a built-in 'router function' in that they could and would pass out IP addresses to connected devices. A HT1100 had a limit of 5 IP addresses that it could pass out to devices. One of those five addresses would be taken up by the connected user supplied router running in 'switch mode'. Things could get a little strange if more that four actual devices were connected. It then made sense to enable DHCP in the router, the Hughes modem only had to hand out an IP to the router and the router would handle DHCP duties for all connected devices both wired and wireless devices. The limits however included that they had only a single LAN port and that fact demanded that a user needed to connect their own router in 'switch mode' to connect multiple wired devices and that the 'router' feature of the Hughes modem totaly lacked any wireless functions.

Will Hughes upgrade the HT2000w to have a Traffic Analyzer function?

Not likely anytime soon. The Asus AC3100 has a hefty internal processor and a large amount of RAM and it uses it all in the extensive record keeping and other internal router functions and services. I just don't see any Hughes Modem/Router combo's having that amount of hardware resourses available anytime soon.

Let me say up front that I don't (and likely won't) have a HT2000w but my issues are this:

> A users router lays at the very center of a users 'Network Kingdom' ... it is the barrier that is between the users networked devices and the jungle known as The Internet.<

My Router equals My Rules as it comes to firewall functions at the very least and then exdends to a host of permissions and internal services and functions. I simply don't wish to turn those duties over to anyone else,

My Network, My Router, My Rules.

> Next is  ... placement<

The wireless aspects of a router are very dependant upon placement so as to maximize the wireless coverage of both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz frequencies. The Hughes HT2000w has no external antennas unlike most home/office routers and due to size and other constraints does not lend itself well to being elevated and turned this way or that to improve wireless coverage. Usually it helps to have the router in a central location and perhaps elevated. Every location is different of course ... one story rancher vs. two story plus basement and patio ....  Really hard to jack the entire HT2000w around as compared to a typical home/office stand alone router.

The need for placement is often overlooked but look at the poor 'penitration' of the 5 Ghz frequency that users with many devices may wish to use just to maintain throughput and avoid local congestion.

I'll be keeping my AC3100.