cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gen5 configure ftp

borzoidd
Freshman

Gen5 configure ftp

Just upgraded to Gen5 last week and have not had ftp since.  Can anyone please tell me how to configure the modem so ftp connections are allowed?  I have disabled upnp, disabled web accelleration, tried to map port 21 in the control center (unsure of the IP address they want for this).  There are no instructions anywhere.  Out of minutes so can't call but when I tried the online chat support I was challanged as to "why" I needed ftp connections (I use it to work online as if it's any of their business).  As soon as I told her why - the tech stopped talking to me and kept posting "we have limited resources on chat support - please call", no matter what I asked.  

All I want is instructions for setting up ftp on this modem.  It shouldn't be top secret or banned.  

34 REPLIES 34
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Re: Gen5 configure ftp

borzoidd
Freshman

multiple different networks depending on the client's hosting plan.  

MarkJFine
Professor

I use Filezilla routinely for remote ftp and sftp connections. There should not be any special settings required to get it to work.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Amanda

Hello borzoidd,

Sorry to hear this is happening, we would be happy to help you get to the bottom of this. Could you let us know what particular FTP client you might be using? 

Thanks,

Amanda

borzoidd
Freshman

Hi I am using FlashFXP as my ftp client.  I will download and install filezilla and let you know if that works. 

borzoidd
Freshman

OK - installed filezilla - it's a no go.  I don't even get errors when I try to connect.  I did run the connection setup wizard and at first the errors I got were that the external IP was incorrect.  They have a get IP function - ran that in the wizard and found out in inserted my external IP.  Then I ran the wizard again and the error I got was "unable to create listen socket, aborting" - no connection

unsure what to do now

MarkJFine
Professor

I'm really confused... you should not have to input your own IP unless you're trying to ftp to yourself... you're not, right?

You should only need the hostname you're trying to connect to, your username and password. Protocol should be ftp or sftp depending upon what you're trying to use. Logon type should be Normal.

You do not need to enter the port number which uses the default (21 or 22) when you select the protocol, nor the IP address of the server to reach if you know it's hostname.

The only other settings you should have had to check/set (think these are all default) is:
Connection -> Timeout: 60 sec

FTP -> Passive mode

Passive mode -> Use server's external IP address (note: this is who you're trying to connect to, not your's)

FTP Proxy -> None

Generic Proxy -> None

File types -> auto

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
borzoidd
Freshman

No, I'm not trying to ftp to myself.  

I've ensured that all of my settings are exactly as you posted and tried to connect to a couple different sites on different hosts.  I get the error "Could not connect to server"

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

FWIW, I've had the same issue with Filezilla.