Gen5 download speed not bad but not as promised

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JW610
New Poster

Gen5 download speed not bad but not as promised

Just got HughesNet Gen5 installed today and for the most part I have no issues but I was told that I would be getting speeds up to 25Mbps but it has been working at around 20 and as low as 8 which then doesn't allow me to stream 4K movie on my 4K TV through Netflix, I called about getting there WiFi booster but the order couldn't be placed at that time so I have to call back???
5 REPLIES 5
MarkJFine
Professor

@JW610 wrote:
up to 25Mbps but it has been working at around 20 and as low as 8

What part of that statement is "not as promised"?

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
gfisher

I agree.. I get awful speed. In the beginning it was great. a weel after that tho.. forget it!! speed sucks now.. I wish there was a way to maintain the speed. I would change providers but I am in an area where this is the only ISP. and we pay good money for there fake claims of fast speed. I would be ashamed if I was hughes net. smh..

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

" I was told that I would be getting speeds up to 25Mbps"

Yes, up to.  This is how all the ISPs word their speed statements. For Hughesnet, it means you will get 25Mbps max.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@JW610

Like others have mentioned, 4k streaming would blow through an entire month's worth of data in no time.  I have the 20GB plan, and with 4k streaming that entire amount would be gone in just over an hour.  Netflix says it needs 25Mbps for 4k streaming, and that's a steady 25Mbps.  Though you may get that sometimes with HughesNet, there's no guarantee that you will, and even if you do it may not be a steady enough speed for that.  And, again, the data amount, which is nearly 20GB per hour with 4k streaming.  I cringe just typing that.  That's a HUGE amount.   

Maybe that you aren't able to stream in 4k is a blessing in disquise.

As for the WiFi booster, unless they stated they would try the order again, you'll probably need to call back.