Hughesnet Community

Getting ready to cancel, only had Hughes 30 days....

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
edwardheller

Getting ready to cancel, only had Hughes 30 days....

Had Hughes installed 30 days ago, service has been terrible. Download speed is 1 mbps, was promised "10 times faster than DSL" by the reps. Service goes out when it rains (albeit briefly)...then there is the VOIP I signed up for and have not been able to use because my number hasn't been ported from Verizon (who I called 8 times and they say my number has been free to port). Keep calling regarding this issue, haven't gotten anyone who can speak or understand English, they all read from a script. Then there's the phantom data loss. I go out for a few days, was at 100 percent when I left, get home it's at 75 percent when no one was using internet. Today I get billed for $124.00 even though I haven't used VOIP, have internet slower than my former Verizon DSL connection and less reliable service. I was warned NOT to switch to Hughes, guess I should've listened. Last chance to fixed these issues before I cancel. I WILL NOT pay an early termination fee for service this terrible....
23 REPLIES 23
edwardheller

Now I am losing data @ 4 percent per day even though I am not at home.....internet speed is ridiculous slow.
Chris11
Alum

Hello edward,

Thanks for posting and welcome. Looking through your account notes I see that the last contact with our support staff was yesterday. Your VoIP should be good to go once you call back with the case number from Verizon. As far as speeds there is no case depicting you calling in to troubleshoot. Have you run speed tests at www.testmy.net or our own from the CMC? 

Also, if you feel that you are experiencing unidentified data usage please run this quick and easy test. Preferably the times when you are "away". 

Please make sure to crop out your SAN when posting pictures. I think with some more information we can definitely help you get a handle on your usage. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you,
Chris
edwardheller

Ok, the problem with my number taking over a month to port was Verizon's fault and mostly due to the strike, Finally got ported today after waiting 31 days. It took a dozen calls to get a person in their porting department to release a service hold (put in place they said was to prevent "slamming" or the theft of my number. Speed test result, as I said are not what I was told when I ordered service. My DSL connection was 3mbps, I was promised "10 times faster than DSL" when I first called to inquired about installation in late April. Yes, I did in fact chat with support last evening about all 3 issues, slow speed, phantom data loss and the porting issue. I was told in the chat session that my account would be credited for what I was charged for VOIP when I was not using it. Have not seen that credit yet. If speed can be improved and the dat loss issue resolved, I will stick with Hughes. If I was lied to about the speed, not so much. I will perform the data loss test and post my results tomorrow.
edwardheller

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Have to ask if this is directly connected to the modem, no router? Always the first question in these situations.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

edwardheller,

Can you post your results URL from testmy.net so we can get a better idea of what's going on with your speed? 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Also needs an ad blocker on browser plus run 12 MB manual download test, not automatic. That Error 641 junk is an ad.

Tests are a couple at a time and weeks apart. Doesn't prove a whole lot. Need tests 3 or so at a time different times of day, also spaced 5 or 10 minutes apart.
edwardheller

Yes, the modem is connected to the router provided by the Hughes installer.
edwardheller

I installed adblock plus for Firefox...
edwardheller

After installing adblocker, manual tests @ 9AM EST
edwardheller

edwardheller

As far as data loss: Unplugged LAN cable @ 9:26 PM EST 6/6/16. Plugged back in at 7AM EST 6/7/16. Slight data loss overnight despite LAN disconnected. Left home at 7:05 AM, came back one hour later to slightly larger data loss.
edwardheller

edwardheller

edwardheller

9:30 AM EST
edwardheller

edwardheller

Speed test @ 4PM EST
edwardheller

Chris11
Alum

Hi edwardheller,

The modem is connected to a router? Only one computer should be connected to the HughesNet modem. You should not be connecting to a router. The installer sold you a third party router. Hughes does not have a branded router. However your speeds look somewhat in range in the morning. I also see that the size used changed. Make sure to always use 12 MB.

- Chris
Chris11
Alum

edwardheller,

Also please refer to this thread when posting results for unidentified data usage. The original poster has it down in a way that is more understandable. Some of your screenshots have no date and time. 

EDIT: Small tidbit. Your speedtest results should be saved as a link you can share and we'll be able to look at all the results. 

Thanks,
Chris