cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Glasswire and huge data drain, can anyone help me figure this out? I am using WAY too much data!

Advanced Tutor

Re: Glasswire and huge data drain, can anyone help me figure this out? I am using WAY too much data!

@happytexann wrote:

Thanks @maratsade and @bare65 -- I have changed the name of the network and password. AND I disconnected the desktop from the ethernet cable and am connecting via w-fi as last month I found a significant change in data drain from being connected to the ethernet rather than wifi with Hughes HT2000W - anyone else noticed that? And thank you @maratsade@ I know the screenshots are eating the data but I had to find out if anyone had answers and only way I know to post what is happening. THANK YOU ALL - @Liz can you help me with some data tokens since I was legitimately trying to find the drain using screenshots and the community?

your welcome...

With regards to the Hopper, I keep mine disconnected from my HughesNet at all time (I keep both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks hidden/SSDI Broadcasts disabled, as well as changed both the password and network name after the Hopper was initially installed)

Last month I missed the pilot episode of a new TV show so I decided to connect the Hopper to my internet via wifi so that I could download this missed episode...Connection wise, I had no problems...but the amount of data I burned through was MASSIVE.

Needless to say I quickly changed my password and network name (SSID) on my HT2000W.

Most folk just do not realize the tremendous amount of data that all of these different devices, as well as our home computers (desktop/laptops) use on a daily basis. As you are seeing...it all adds up very quickly.

Assistant Professor

Re: Glasswire and huge data drain, can anyone help me figure this out? I am using WAY too much data!

Actually a cable should be better than wifi. Less chance of needing resends over a disrupted wifi channel and a lot more reliable.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Distinguished Professor III

@happytexann

Those satellite TV receivers can be bad news.  I don't know about Dish, but DirecTV receiver chew through data even if you never watch anything on demand or record anything.   

BTW, the screenshots probably didn't use more than 1MB, combined.  Each pic is maybe 150KB.    

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Good morning happytexann,

Glad to see the community's helping you figure your high data usage sources. What Gabe said is correct, screenshots don't take up that much data, and I gave you more than enough data tokens last time. Smiley Happy

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Senior

Good morning @Liz, is there somewhere in all the instructions about data usage and drain that would tell a new customer to disconnect from these two devices -- I misunderstood how they functioned, thinking they pulled the data using the Dish satellite?

Tags (1)

Hi,

We reference set-top boxes in our unidentified data usage stickied thread. Anything that connects to the internet will use data, and there are countless things nowadays that can do that. My cousin has a smart *fridge* that connects online!

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->