Google Earth. Why so slow?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
superslowhughes
Sophomore

Google Earth. Why so slow?

Nice sunny Sunday Morning so I decide to plan my trip with Google Earth and Hughes. That was a mistake. Hughes cannot access Google Earth at more than 1Mbps..Averages 250Kbps to 500Kbps. Why so slow? Did Hughes not buy enough speed from them? It does finally load but very slow.250 to 500Kpbs average.  Cleared my cache dumped Hughes and connected to my Hot Spot from Verizon. Used it the same way and it was 5 to 15 times faster. Why is that?

Hughes is running fast compaired to usual today for most sites. Not youTube. youTube is 5 to 15 times slower than Verizon. Tried to watch several 480p videos. It buffered every 3 to 5 seconds. Made it useless. Tried it on Verizon. No Buffering at 720p.

On a positive note all the text based pages I went to loaded fine. Even downloaded a 480mb driver file at 15Mbps. So its running well for some things but not for all. Does Hughes and Google Earth and youTube not play well together? I have had problems with Google Earth no matter what time of day with Hughes from Day ONE. Why???????????????????????????????

1 REPLY 1
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

The reasons could be varied, including issues with your setup.  If you want to troubleshoot, you're going to have to run some tests of your network. No one will be able to answer your questions otherwise. 

"Hughes cannot access Google Earth at more than 1Mbps..Averages 250Kbps to 500Kbps. Why so slow? Did Hughes not buy enough speed from them?"

I don't think Hughesnet buys speed from Google Earth.

I have the opposite problem regarding Verizon vs Hughesnet -- Verizon is very substandard where I live. Hughesnet works at low speeds, Verizon does not do much at all and it never even reaches more than 2 Mbps.