Hughesnet Community

Have the 50Gig plan and run out in 3 days!!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheBamaFan

Have the 50Gig plan and run out in 3 days!!!

Help!!!  I have the largest plan available - 50GB per month and for the last two months (maybe three) all 50 gigs have been used within 3 or 4 days.  Something is devouring the GBs and I need to determine what it is.  I saw another post where people were suggesting that user install usage analyzers on every device.  That will not work for me.  I need to be able to see on the Router what each IP (device) is doing and then I need a QOS tool that will allow me to put a quota on the number of Gigs a device is allowed to download within a month.  Honestly, just having the quota tool would be enough.  The QoS tool on the HT2000W is useless because it only restricts the throughput and it is by a percentage.  I want to restrict devices to a number of gigs per month.  Does HughesNet have something like this?  I haven't found it.

Thanks for any help.

5 REPLIES 5
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

No, Hughesnet doesn't offer quota management on their consumer products, nor do they offer a breakdown of data used per device.  If you need to setup hard quotas per device, then you will need to look into third party alternatives, but be warned, they are very costly.

@Gwalk900 might have some useful ideas on a third party router and firmware that would provide the data used per device.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@TheBamaFan

In lieu of having a way to set quotas, what devices do you have connected?  Not really specifics, just in general.  Like "two Windows PCs, two i-phones, a DirecTV receiver".... lIke that.    

Also, do you stream, whether through a device, Smart TV or satellite TV receiver?  

@GabeU wrote:

@TheBamaFan

In lieu of having a way to set quotas, what devices do you have connected?  Not really specifics, just in general.  Like "two Windows PCs, two i-phones, a DirecTV receiver".... lIke that.    

Also, do you stream, whether through a device, Smart TV or satellite TV receiver?  

We have three smart phones (iOS and Android), two Win10 laptops, three tablets, and a Dish Hopper and Joey.  We also have another smart phone and laptop that are on from time to time.  There is barely any streaming via OnDemand TV because that is a Gig hog.  But I really can't say who the culprits are via smartphone and tablets.  They aren't streaming movies but they like their games and youtube shorts.  That is why I need a tool to either restrict them outright or to analyze the device traffic so I know who is doing it.  This is a new problem and for the life of me we have not added a new device in the last two months that would have caused this to start happening.  I will say that thankfully the "throttled" bandwidth is enough that most normal daily usage is sufferable.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@TheBamaFan

I know with DirecTV the receivers can use data even if one isn't watching anything On Demand, but I don't know that Dish Network devices are the same.  I can't remember reading about a Hopper doing that.  With that said, though, being that you don't stream very much using the Dish Network devices, it may be a good idea to, at least temporarily, disassociate them from HughesNet to see if that's where the data is going.    

I can see where quotas would help.  With so many devices it's a little harder to figure out what's using the majority of the data, thought it's possible it's game updates and such.  Maybe iOS updates changed something and the phones are connecting to the iCloud a lot?  I don't have any Apple products, so I'm not familiar with what they do or what can change with OS updates.   

I do know that Apple products have a built in Activity Monitor and a network tab within that app that can show what data is being used, but, unfortunately, I think it resets each time the device is shut down.

Glasswire is often recommended for data monitoring for Windows devices, but I doubt it's your laptops using all of the data.  It might still help, though.  You can download it here, if you like, and it's free.  It will monitor the data usage of the computer it's installed on.  If you do use Glasswire, make sure to set the options to "Incoming & Outgoing" and "External", as you don't want it counting the data that's being passed back and forth inside the computer, itself.    

I hope you're able to figure it out.  Perhaps someone who is more familiar with the devices you listed has some other ideas and can be of more help.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Been using this cheaper Asus WRT router for some time now, a year plus, and pleased with it. Have Merlin firmware installed and great coverage to all rooms in 1500 sq/ft wood frame ranch style house. Three adjustable external antennas help, lots of transmit power and receive sensitivity in my experience . The RT-N66U and R models are basically the same, just a marketing designation.

It monitors usage per device, parental, guest and QoS controls. Can limit use by device. Has worked extremely well for me on Gen 4.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320261

Just an example, may find even cheaper on Amazon, Ebay, etc.

EDIT: One here for $40, tempted to buy it myself    https://www.ebay.com/itm/BNWB-Asus-RT-N66R-N900-Dual-Band-Wireless-Router-WiFi/152786114336?epid=170...

What today's use looks like. Can also select a date range. I'm a data hog, downloaded some videos today.

usage.PNG