cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heads up, Kindle Fire owners

Honorary Alumnus

Heads up, Kindle Fire owners

Repost of a topic on DSLR Hughesnet forum.

No personal experience with this one as I have Samsung and Nook HD + so this is an FYI.

Heads up, Kindle Fire ownersIf you have an Amazon Kindle Fire tablet, be aware they just updated its OS to include a new feature called "On Deck." I just happened to be up at 3AM and just happened to notice mine rebooting itself and just happened to go looking to see what was new when I discovered this gem.

Amazon will use this "On Deck" service to download entire movies to your tablet's SD card without any sort of notice or consent while plugged in and connected to WiFi, and it is enabled by default after the update. That is just going to work so well with Hughesnet's FAP policy.

You can disable On Deck from Settings > Apps & Games > Amazon Application Settings > Video.

5 REPLIES 5
Assistant Professor

Re: Heads up, Kindle Fire owners

Looks like they're taking lessons from Microsoft. Boy this stuff just keeps getting better and better! (sarcasm)

EDIT: Get ready for a bunch of "where did my data go?" complaints.

Oof. Thanks for the heads up!

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Honorary Alumnus

It is getting tough alright.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab4 that I use during break time at work.

I have went over that thing very carefully no only for "global" settings but settings for each individual app.

I bring it home to charge when necessary. "Hard Off", connect to the charger ... and I will sill see "middle of the night" usage on occasion.

You never know when a OS update is going to wipe out all of your custom settings.

Assistant Professor

So I guess this means as soon as you purchase a title it starts downloading it by default, no just backing out then downloading and watching later?
Honorary Alumnus

Looks like they're taking lessons from Microsoft

I did a "military wipe" with Dban on the hard drive that had Win10 on it.

I guess you could say that I used both .. a silver bullet and a wooden stake on that thing. Smiley Happy