cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello All, I have Hughesnet Voice and the incoming calls are dead air and outgoing calls are dropped after a minute

Highlighted
New Poster

Hello All, I have Hughesnet Voice and the incoming calls are dead air and outgoing calls are dropped after a minute

All incoming calls are dead when we pick up the handset.  Outgoing calls are usually dropped within a minute or so.  What do I do?  I can't even call customer service because the phone service drops out.
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

Re: Hello All, I have Hughesnet Voice and the incoming calls are dead air and outgoing calls are dropped after a minute

Good morning paulandmirna,

Thanks for posting, we can certainly help. I'll need more details to better assist you:

When exactly did you notice this happening?
Have you ever been able to place calls without issue?
Have you ever been able to receive calls without issue?
Is your phone corded or cordless?
How is your internet browsing?
Does the issue persist when only the ATA is connected the HughesNet modem (router disconnected)?
When you reintroduce the router, does the issue persist?

When setting up your ATA, please confirm that your cables are secured on each end; it should look like this:

If you don't already have this, this is the user guide for your Voice service: http://voice.hughesnet.com/installguide/ Page ten is where it goes into detail about how where to plug everything in. It's very important that if you have a router, that the ATA is between the modem and the router. If the router is connected to the modem first, and the ATA is connected to the router, that can cause problems. 

Then please ensure this is the power supply that's plugged into the ATA:

Then at the back of the ATA, make sure your phone is plugged into the PHONE 1 port. The HughesNet modem should be plugged into the INTERNET port. Finally, if applicable, your router should be plugged into the ETHERNET port. 

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Hello All, I have Hughesnet Voice and the incoming calls are dead air and outgoing calls are dropped after a minute

Greetings Liz, We have had the service for a couple of months I think.  The phone has worked and we haven't had any problems until three days ago maybe four.  The lines are set up just as your picture is shown and there are three lights illuminated solid on the ATA device.  There is no problem with our internet and the there are no weather issues.  The phone is a cordless phone.  Thanks for your help.  Paul
Highlighted

Thanks for the speedy reply, Paul. Is there any difference in performance when the ATA is directly connected to the HughesNet modem?

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted
New Poster

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly Liz.  The ATA is connected directly to the HughesNet modem right now and that's how it has been connected since our service was started.  I just cycled power off and disconnected my wifi router from the ATA.  That seems to have cleared up the problem this time.  Can you explain why?

Thanks Paul
Highlighted

Perfect! Glad to hear that power cycling helped. In this case with dropped calls, a stale IP may be the culprit, so clearing it up with a power cycle helps.

-Liz

Highlighted
New Poster

Thanks for your time I'm sure that if I have any trouble again that that (cycling power) will be my first try.  Paul
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

When in doubt, power cycle.  LOL. 

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted

Sounds like a plan; glad to have helped, Paul!

-Liz