Hughesnet Community

Hello All! I would like to give my experience so far as a new customer.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coreyellis1
Freshman

Hello All! I would like to give my experience so far as a new customer.

I recently had my service installed on March 1st and so far everything is working beautifully. I am a former customer of Exede (Viasat), and I have to say that Hughesnet beats Exede hands down. I had nothing but problems when I was with them. I am currently paying for 10 mbps download and I am getting anywere between 20 - 26 mbps download speeds consistently. This blows Exede's speeds out of the water. I had a very good install. The technician said that I had a perfect line of sight and would never have any problems as far this goes. With Exede I had a very tight line of sight. I am so far very pleased with this service. I am used to when it rains hard the signal would drop, but not with Hughesnet. It was raining so hard that you could not see 5 feet in front of you and I still kept my signal. I love all the extra things that you can purchase through Hughesnet like the Variety Pack with the games and PC Essentials. I tired to use Zone Alarm but that didn't work out so well, because it tried to update and would freeze up at 20%. It did it on both my Windows 10 computers so it must be something going on with Zone Alarm itself, so I just decided to use Windows Defender which I have herd is pretty good at protecting computers.I am glad that the tech that installed my service had a wireless router, I had a netgear router but I had a lot of problems with it so I bought one off of him for $99.00 and I have to say it was well worth the money. He sold me a D-LInk router, which he said works excellent with the service. I will continue to post on here over the next couple of months about my experiences with my hughesnet service.
13 REPLIES 13
Liz

Hi coreyellis1!

Welcome and thanks for posting. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your positive experience with us here in the community. I look forward to seeing you around. 

Just wanted to add this if it hasn't been conveyed to you yet:

As a new customer with high-speed Internet, your Internet-connected devices may trigger some large non-HughesNet software downloads, such as Windows or iOS updates. To help with that, for the first 20 days of your HughesNet subscription, as your data meter goes down reflecting your usage, we’ll constantly reset it so that your account will have enough data for those downloads. The data limit you subscribed to will go into effect at the end of your first 20 days. We encourage you to download the HughesNet Status Meter to keep track of your current and past usage. You can do that by visiting the Support Center and clicking the appropriate download button: supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

If you have any concerns, feel free to come back to the community. 

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

coreyellis1,

It's good to hear that you are enjoying Hughesnet thus far.  If you are looking for a good antivirus product that is free, both AVG and Avast are what a lot of people use.  You mentioned that you are using Windows Defender, and that's decent, but it's not very highly rated by the people in the know.  In addition to an antivirus program, you may want to use Malwarebytes.  It's great for malware, it's highly rated, and there is a free version, as well.     

Just some suggestions. I'm glad you like Hughesnet.   

Liz

Hi Corey,

I'm glad you were able to find a backup PC protection program, but in case you'd like to give Zone Alarm another try, we can help sort out whatever concerns you had, just let us know.

Thanks!

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Ricky
Tutor

Does HughesNet approve or back the sale of routers to customers from the installer? I have read some not so good stories.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Ricky, I believe installers are allowed to sell routers to customers as long as they explain to the customer it not part of the HughesNet backed installation and solely on the installer and/or installation subcontractor. I'm sure Liz will clarify tomorrow.

IMO if it is a router that does what the customer wants and performs as it should on HughesNet then $50-100 is not unreasonable for the router and setup. Actually fairly cheap when it comes to setting up a local network for the customer. Especially if the customer has no idea how to setup a router. Again, my opinion.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

PS: The installer should also then support the router installation for the same warranty period that the hardware manufacturer does.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

There really isn't a viable answer to the problem.

Some Installers/Dealers are going to have a professionally run business with at least one or two employees that are capable of doing an extra cost network setup.

The cold hard fact is that many of the so called "installers" fall more into the category of The Great Unwashed, lack the ability to provide a proper basic install let alone negotiate with a novice user a network setup.

That nearly leaves users that are "clueless" at the mercy of a operation like Geek Squad and that pimply faced kid will not likely grasp certain aspects of a Hughes system.

Without a source of knowledge a novice user really is at a disadvantage.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Good point Gwalk. We are tech nerds and hard to understand many do not understand even the very basics of local networking let alone satellite internet. Nice to see you here tonight btw.

Still, if a knowledgeable installer sells a router and sets up properly for $100 or less I think the customer got a deal. Once again only if a customer who doesn't have a clue what to buy or how to set it up.
coreyellis1
Freshman

I would love to give it another try. I installed it successfully, but when it tried to update it got hung-up at 20% on both of my P.C's. If there is a department that I can contact that can help me fix that issue I would love to have it back on both of my computers. I am thinking that it has something to do with me running on windows 10 operating system. I have tried everything that I know to do. I am still learning something new just about everyday with the Windows 10 operating system. I will say, people that have a hard time using the computer should not use Windows 10, with it not being so user friendly in my opinion. Any information that you can provide to get it past that little hick-up will be greatly appreciated!
coreyellis1
Freshman

Hello BirdDog, I looked up the wireless router online before I purchased it from the installer and it costs $99.00 directly from D-Link. So I just paid the cost of the router. He wanted to set it up for me, but with me being a tech nerd as you guys call it, I set it up myself, so far I have not had any problems!
Liz

OK Corey, so I've just run remote diagnostics on your site to make sure the HughesNet equipment is working properly and you've got some pretty perfect results! Curious, could you please tell me if the update still gets hung up even while directly connected to the HughesNet modem? Are both PCs you're trying on Windows 10?

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Liz

Hi Ricky,

We've recently authorized our installers to sell D-Link routers specially customized for HughesNet systems. The way they're customized for us is that their default IP address is different from the HughesNet modem's so there's no conflict.

-Liz

Liz

Hi Corey,

It's been a week since we heard back from you. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

Thanks,
Liz