Did you mean: 
gowest
Freshman

Hidden Network from HughesNet Modem just showed up

Re: Hidden Network
@gowest wrote:
@lake_woman wrote:
@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Yes the signal is coming from your HT2000w...  You wont be able to connect to that signal, and the signal is disabled if you disable the Wifi on the modem.  

It's kind of like the USB port on the back of the HT1100... It's there for "future use", but, we have no idea when or if that future will ever come. Smiley Happy

Thank you CORROSIVE! I have my SSIDs broadcasting, so I knew it wasn't anything to do with that. The signal is so strong that I knew it wasn't a neighbor.

I read something about some providers creating a hidden network to speed up the wifi, or something like that.

Thanks again for solving my mystery hidden network!

I have the same 'hidden network' that just began showing up everytime I turn on my hughesnet modem/router.  I'm not fine with this explanation.  I have been on the phone with tech support for hours and they just keep saying they can't help me because they can't see the hidden network on their end. 

I want it gone!  It wasn't there 3 days ago and I want it gone now.  I'm sensitive to wifi signals so I have turned all but 1 of the 2.4g wifi connections off in my modem's administrative area.  I am not able to access or turn off the hidden network.  I don't want it broadcasting through my home for 'future use'.  That is not okay with me and I will report Hughesnet to the Federal Communications Commissioin if it doesn't get turned off very soon!

I finally got someone at Hughesnet to admit that this hidden network was put on my modem by them in a recent update and that it can not be removed...  I didn't agree to have this hidden network that I am not in contol of to transmit through my house when I signed up for service! 

The supervisor I finally got to talk to said it has been added to everyone's but that they are planning to take it off but couldn't tell me how long it would take.  I told him I was reserving the right to cancel my account without early cancellation penalty because it was not there when I signed over 7 months ago and I didn't agree to have a hidden network added 3 days ago so if it is not removed very soon and that I would be calling back in a week if it is still there.

13 REPLIES 13
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

It's not going to be taken off on the HT2000w, and you won't be able to cancel the contract with out ETF because another SSID network showed up.

MarkJFine
Professor

@gowest

Not really sure what the furor is over this thing.

It's not an extra radio signal and is not radiating any more than the regular wifi channel - if that's a concern.

It's most likely using time-slice of the same wifi channel in a time division muliplex fashion, which is why it can't be seen all the time. It can only be addressed by devices that know the ssid (which is hidden - that's why we're calling it that) and password (which cetainly hope is always hidden). So it can't be hacked - if that's a concern.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Re: Hidden Network (quoted reply by CORROSIVE senior instructor)

Sorry, but that's not going to happen.  The hidden network does nothing currently aside from broadcast.  If you don't like it, you can disable the wifi on your HT2000w entirely and use your own wifi access point.

What you are asking is almost like when the HT1000 was replaced with the HT1100 if the unit failed, the HT1100 had a new potential feature which was a USB port, yeup, end those contracts over nothing! lol

That aside, Hughesnet conforms to all F.C.C requirements, otherwise there wouldn't be, ya know, an F.C.C sticker on the unit.

BTW, Pro-tip, electromagnetic hypersensitivity is not a medical diagnosis, it's a self diagnosis, meaning it's not recognized by anyone, including the F.C.C.  If you knew how many signals passed through your body, you would realize that much.

Your electrical meter?  Most likely part of a mesh wifi network.
Your local TV stations? Yeup, they broadcast some pretty strong signals.
All those satellites in space? Yeup, they flood the ground in radio signals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_hypersensitivity

Personal Machine: ECS B85H3-M | Intel i5 4460 | 16GB DDR3-1333 | eVGA 750Ti | Samsung 830 120GB - Server: ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 | AMD FX8350 | 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC | 2x Intel Quad Gigabit NIC | IBM M5015 | 650w OCZ PSU | eVGA 710 | 26TB Storage - ChucksBasix.com

MY REPLY to Corrosive's reply above:
FYI I don't need a medical diagnosis to decide whether or not I choose to be bombarded with 5G radio waves in MY home from a router that I pay for or not.   I agree with lake_woman you are rude and I don't like your tone either.  I have tried to call on the issue several times and was on hold forever until my HN phone hung up on me (that's another issue, the phone service is unreliable to say the least...).  I just now thought of re-checking the forum and will try the suggested fix of turning additional boxes off and will let you know if that works.  

HERE'S THE REASON for the 'future use' of your 5G: ( excerpt BELOW from http://healthimpactnews.com/2017/new-5g-cell-towers-and-smart-meters-to-increase-microwave-radiation... )   Think smart grid and smart appliances that are already being marketed.  They will need a designated 5G connection to transmit from your house and your neighbor's house to the central control brain which will monitor, control and distribute power as they see fit.  PLEASE READ:

"Telecom giants plan to take their 5G technology nationwide. It is part of a long-term plan to integrate telecom activities with electrical service providers. A 2015 white paper written by telecom companies, electric utilities, and technology developers published in the European Union describes their vision for the future.  As I interpret the images that these European visionaries are creating, I believe they are foreseeing a day when electrical power production and distribution will be controlled by the 5G network.  In this future vision, large-scale power production facilities will be replaced by hundreds of thousands of small power producers, which could even include personal power production in our homes from solar and wind.  The 5G system will monitor not just consumption of power, but will monitor and control the redistribution of electrical power across the entire electrical grid. The 5G network will be the nerves and sense organs of a massive organism that has a central brain somewhere, which controls all forms of information exchange and electric utilization/production.  Electricity will be used for all aspects of household and business activities, and the 5G network and its centralized brain will control everything. [24]  In the beginning, the speed of the 5G network will be marketed to consumers and businesses who want super-fast internet service. This will allow for instant access to videos and webpages with as little as a 5-millisecond delay from the moment a start button is pressed.

Transmission speeds will be hundreds of times faster than current internet connections. It will be so fast that it will be able to instantaneously project images on the lenses of smart enabled eye glasses to create virtual reality images that blend with the environment.  People will be able to watch videos or even read email simply by looking through the lenses of their glasses. The speed will be so phenomenal that it will make available self-driving cars, which can safely drive passengers to their destinations. [25]  Ultimately, the greatest benefit of the 5G system will be for utility companies. It will give them the ability to take total control of electric production, distribution, and consumption."

Do a little research on your own, its all on the internet if we look.  So are the suspected/proven health dangers.  The decision lies with the consumer ultimately as to whether we want to participate or not.  If I can turn off my HN wifi completely I will, if not I will be requesting my service be discontinued at no charge.  If we all do that, they will provide a way to turn it off.

@gowest wrote:

Do a little research on your own, its all on the internet if we look.

So is Alex Jones... just saying.

Just so you're not confused by the terminology, the '5G' you're reading about are 5th Generation mobile phone signals (not to be confused with 4G, LTE, etc) coming from cell towers in your area, not 5 GHz wifi transmissions coming from your modem.

And again, the 'hidden signal' is not an additional radio signal coming from the modem, it's part of the one that already there and radiating, just an additional ID for it.

If you want the hidden signal gone then turn off your 5G wifi and buy your own router. I don't understand why this is so hard.

Edit: Or better yet, disable all of the wifi entirely and use a cable if you don't want the extra radio signals in your home.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I already stated that I am going to try the additional turn off boxes sited in the previously closed post on this subject.  If it works great!  If the hidden network is still on, then we have a problem.  And I do realize the difference of 5th Gen as opposed to 5G.  5th Gen is the name of the HN system.  However 5G is 5Ghz which is what the article is speaking about and IS ALSO what the Hidden Network is broadcasting in.  It is a radio wave frequency.  The Hidden Network IS broadcasting in my home at 5Ghz.  No rocket science to understand that.  And who's Alex Jones????

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

@gowest wrote:

And I do realize the difference of 5th Gen as opposed to 5G.  5th Gen is the name of the HN system.  However 5G is 5Ghz which is what the article is speaking about and IS ALSO what the Hidden Network is broadcasting in. 

That is not correct.

The "5G" they are referring  to is the 5th generation  of that platform.

If you re-read the article you linked to you will see in the first paragraph  that  it uses the 30 Ghz frequency  range.

This is not related to the frequency  of your Hughes system between the gateway and the satellite  or between the satellite  and your TRIA.

The wireless portion  of the Hughes modem is 2.4 and 5.0 Ghz.

That activity is "local", that is to say between your devices and the wireless portion of the modem. 

Those functions can be turned off.

Unless you build a Faraday cage over your house you will not escape  being bombarded  by many frequencies.

@Gwalk900 wrote:

@gowest wrote:

And I do realize the difference of 5th Gen as opposed to 5G.  5th Gen is the name of the HN system.  However 5G is 5Ghz which is what the article is speaking about and IS ALSO what the Hidden Network is broadcasting in. 

That is not correct.

The "5G" they are referring  to is the 5th generation  of that platform.

If you re-read the article you linked to you will see in the first paragraph  that  it uses the 30 Ghz frequency  range.

This is not related to the frequency  of your Hughes system between the gateway and the satellite  or between the satellite  and your TRIA.

The wireless portion  of the Hughes modem is 2.4 and 5.0 Ghz.

That activity is "local", that is to say between your devices and the wireless portion of the modem. 

Those functions can be turned off.

Unless you build a Faraday cage over your house you will not escape  being bombarded  by many frequencies.

Okay, admitted, I missed the 30Ghz part of the article.  For that oversight I apologize.  However, if your Hidden Network is not going to be used to facilitate as an extra dedicated Wifi signal for smart appliances to transmit over then simply tell us what this 'future use' could be?  Businesses don't go to the trouble of implementing things without some idea why it might be needed in the future.  5Ghz would likely be sufficient for appliances communicate over.  Many people might be fine with that but it should be their choice with complete disclosure by HughesNet.

Your defensiveness, vagueness, and not coming clean about it even being your hidden network when first asked about it (I was on the phone for 3 hours the first time I tried to find out about it, and NO ONE at HN 'knew' that it was yours... kept insisting it wasn't coming from your router...) only serves to make people search for the answers for themselves and be suspicous of your honesty

Again, I have not had time to get my own router hooked up yet to see if turning them all off will also turn off the hidden network.  If that indeed does work we have no problems as I said before.  Thank you for your time.

@gowest wrote:

Your defensiveness, vagueness, and not coming clean about it even being your hidden network when first asked about it (I was on the phone for 3 hours the first time I tried to find out about it, and NO ONE at HN 'knew' that it was yours... kept insisting it wasn't coming from your router...) only serves to make people search for the answers for themselves and be suspicous of your honesty.

Did you ever think that the reason why you're suspicious of things that you don't understand are because the sites you visit are making you that way?

I read through that Health Impact News and (as a health and fitness nut, myself) the things they talk about are not only flat out superstitious nonsense, but extrememly dangerous to be taken as anything more serious than an infomercial for the garbage they sell. They prey on people who are easily swayed by repeated 'alternative concepts' that have no basis in fact in order to promote themselves as the only credible authority on a subject... technically, that's called a 'con job'.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@gowest wrote:

However, if your Hidden Network is not going to be used to facilitate as an extra dedicated Wifi signal for smart appliances to transmit over then simply tell us what this 'future use' could be?  

The simple answer....they aren't required to tell you what it's for, nor what its future use could be, nor if it's for anything at all.  The HT2000W is a proprietary device and they are not required to divulge anything more about it, nor its operation, than is required by law. 

If and when they decide to divulge anything about it is entirely up to them, and the reasons they haven't as of yet are entirely theirs and theirs alone.    

@gowest wrote:

However 5G is 5Ghz which is what the article is speaking about and IS ALSO what the Hidden Network is broadcasting in.  It is a radio wave frequency.

And that's your take after reading the first line?

"When the Federal Communication Commission (***) approved the use of 5-G microwave communication technology in 2016 and approved the use of microwave frequencies in the 30 Ghz range"

They expliityly said 30 GHz not 5 GHz. 30 GHz (5G telephone system) is way up the frequency spectrum from 5 GHz wifi (your modem). In fact it's well above the transmission channels (~18-20 GHz) used for dish-to-satellite comms on the J2 beams. So you clearly do not understand what you're talking about.

@gowest wrote:

5th Gen is the name of the HN system.

Correct, but you honestly think Hughes has a monopoly on all things considered 5th Generation technologies?  This article has zero to do with Hughes or your modem whatsoever.

I can't wait until you find out that the frequency used by the 2.4 GHz wifi is the same one you use to cook TV dinners in your microwave oven (albeit a much different power level). In fact, chances are your LTE phone system operates at a frequency lower than 2.4 GHz.

Look, please, don't believe everything you read on the internet unless it comes from an accredited source. Like, (almost) everybody knows this.

If you've learned nothing from the past 12 - 24 months, there are plenty of disreputable sources that love to make some crusade out of a set of ridiculous assumptions (I tried real hard not to use the term 'conspiracy theory') that make zero techinical sense, just to fool you into being a slave to their agenda.

Don't be that guy.

BTW, I should add I've seen the "Hidden Network" SSID phenomenon once when I set up a new Customer's system. I had renamed the modem's two default SSIDs to something more "friendly" for the Customer. Upon saving the changes, the 5 GHz SSID disappeared entirely and was replaced by a "Hidden Network" SSID. I finally had to revert the router's settings and reboot the modem to remove the Hidden Network and restore the 5 Ghz SSID. HughesNet Tech Support told me it was a known bug and would be fixed in a pending router firmware update.

BBTW, Thanks to Mark J Fine for beating me to a reply I was about to type: The only thing in common between "Gen5" (a marketing term), "5G" (a telecommunications standard), and "5 GHz" (a numeric value denoting an electromagnetic frequency) is the number "5". They have about as much in common as "5 Star," "$5," and the "Jackson 5." 🙂
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
GabeU

The hidden network being broadcast by the HT2000W modem has ZERO to do with what's discussed in that article.  Completely unrelated.   

And, just for info, the hidden network is broadcasting from the 2.4Ghz radio, as well.  

You can turn the hidden network off by disabling both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz radios through the Avanced Wifi settings.  But, keep in mind, unchecking both of these boxes will completely disable the HT2000W's WiFi.  

Capture.JPG

maratsade

" I told him I was reserving the right to cancel my account without early cancellation penalty because it was not there when I signed over 7 months ago and I didn't agree to have a hidden network added 3 days ago so if it is not removed very soon and that I would be calling back in a week if it is still there."

Hilarious.