cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Data Usage

New Poster

High Data Usage

I was shocked at my data usage going into my second month of service with Hughesnet.

For reference:  At my previous home, I had DSL service with a 10 Gig data cap.  Using low quality video settings and a little common sense, I was able to watch Netflix, all the YouTube videos I wanted (sometimes for hours a day) and even played World of Warcraft (at super low quality settings) and only twice went over the cap.

I moved all of the same equipment (two iPads, two phones, a Kindle, a laptop, a DirecTV receiver, an Xbox, a Smart TV and a Roomba) to my new house in the country, where my only choice for internet service is Hughesnet. 

I noticed at the end of my first month of service that I was using a lot of my data cap every day.  Being the kind of person I am, I figured I had a bandwidth hog on my network, so I systematically began disconnecting devices each day to find the culprit.  First, The DirecTV Box.  No change...  It goes on and on, next the TV, then the Xbox, then the Roomba, then the laptom, then each iPad in turn, then the Kindle, then each phone. I used 2.25 Gigs a day, no matter what.

Frustrated, I talked to someone in support.  I won't get too much into the frustration of that, but, after 4 hours with everything turned off and nothing plugged in, they sent me a new modem.  I set it up yesterday.  I turned on one phone and one iPad.  I checked email on the phone.  I looked at Amazon for about 20 minutes on the iPad.  My mother asked if she could use the Wifi to check her email on her iPhone.  She used it for less than an hour.  No videos, a few jpegs, nothing major.  1.25 gigs of usage for the day.  I guess that's an improvement, but my 20 Gig cap will still be gone before the month ends.

With Hughesnet, I've given up on video altogether.  I haven't watched a single video of any kind this month.  I knew there would be no gaming with the latency, so that hasn't even been on the radar.  At this point, I'm doing all my day to day internet usage on my cell phone plan, letting my mother use the data to check her email and doing any laptop updates in the middle of the night to take advantage of the bonus time.

All told, my experience with Hughesnet has been underwhelming.  The installer was rude to my mother (she's old, I'm her caregiver) and refused to install the dish in a place where it isn't visible from the road (all I asked).  And...  I can't really use it without burning through data at a ridiculous rate.

Well, that's my vent.  If anyone has a suggestion of what else I can do to make the next 2 years with Hughesnet more enjoyable, let me know.  Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
Professor

Re: High Data Usage

Satellite internet cannot be compared to any kind of terrestial internet (DSL, cable). They work differently.  Satellite internet requires learning how to manage, budget, and track data. 

To learn about data and how to manage it, read these articles:

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Where-s-my-bytes-Testing-for-data-leaks/td-p/77194

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HughesNet-Data-Management-Tips-n-Tricks-How-To-Elimi...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Understanding-data-usage-data-loss-and-connection-pa...

New Poster

Thanks for the links.  I've actually read them all already.  I tried everything they say.  After I eliminated all watching of videos and disconnected almost every device I had on the system, but still saw a 2.25 Gig drop every day, I kinda figured I'd done all I could do.

I had to manage my usage on DSL, so I do know a little about it.  I can't imagine how the transfer method (Satelite vs Phone Line) equates to "If you attach your iPhone to this router, it will eat gigs of data a day", but I'm guessing that's just the way it is.

I have a degree in Network Administration.  Granted, it's about 25 years old...  If I'm so confounded how to manage my data, I feel sorry for complete laymen who sign on with Hughesnet.

Assistant Professor

Anything that does cloud ops is essentially like streaming and will eat data like a heat pump draws power on electric heat.

My wife, a teacher, just became Google certified and was working in Google Classroom, which ate about 2-3x what the computer said it did - likely on latent pings and the unneeded packet resends, as a result. Same is true for Google Docs, et. al. Something to be very careful with.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Professor

If you want to get help from the Hughesnet staff on this site, please follow the protocol outlined here, including posting screenshots:

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Where-s-my-bytes-Testing-for-data-leaks/m-p/77194#M5...

This protocol is required if you'd like them to investigate what may be going on. 

And yes, satellite internet is a bit of a high learning curve, but so are many things in life. 

dcarolan wrote:

Thanks for the links.  I've actually read them all already.  I tried everything they say.  After I eliminated all watching of videos and disconnected almost every device I had on the system, but still saw a 2.25 Gig drop every day, I kinda figured I'd done all I could do.

I had to manage my usage on DSL, so I do know a little about it.  I can't imagine how the transfer method (Satelite vs Phone Line) equates to "If you attach your iPhone to this router, it will eat gigs of data a day", but I'm guessing that's just the way it is.

I have a degree in Network Administration.  Granted, it's about 25 years old...  If I'm so confounded how to manage my data, I feel sorry for complete laymen who sign on with Hughesnet.

New Poster

Thanks again.  I can try to take some screenshots.  I already have tried phone support a couple of times.  Not much success there.  

Mostly, I'm venting.  This service is targeted at rural people who aren't necessarily computer networking experts, and it's not exactly cheap.  I have networking experience, and I find the learning curve unnecessarily steep.  I wonder what a guy with more experience with tractors than computers would be going through.  I think Hughesnet should be a bit more upfront if it's really that difficult to stay under the data cap, that's all.  

I've burned through 17 gigs of data in 10 days without watching a single video.  I wouldn't have believed it was possible, actually.  Maybe the cloud on my apple products like the previous poster suggested.  That's something to check into.  Disconnecting all my devices and only attaching when I need the internet is my solution for now.

Assistant Professor

I'm running Apple products here as well.

You should disable any and all: Wifi calling/assist, Calls on other devices, FindMyPhone/Mac, Automatic updates, and basically anything else that can and will use data without your immediate knowledge - including things that run in the background (Background App Refresh). I only have a few select exercise-related things I use all the time that are allowed to run in the background, and certainly nothing that deals with pictures or video.

Something to also watch out for is that Dropbox updates their Finder plugin automatically practically on a weekly basis and there's no way to turn it off short of uninstalling it. Flash player updates pretty regular as well, but it's only about 20Mb.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Distinguished Professor IV

@dcarolan wrote:

Being the kind of person I am, I figured I had a bandwidth hog on my network, so I systematically began disconnecting devices each day to find the culprit.   

It's better to do the opposite, as in disconnecting everything, then adding each device back in one at a time, and spaced out enough that when the high data usage starts again, you know which device is the culprit.  And, of course, the first device reconnected should be a computer or tablet or something else you can use to view the data usage, though it's best for it to be one that's connected via LAN cable.    

So that you can be absolutely sure that nothing is connected that you aren't aware of, or that you may have forgotten about (it happens), you can see what is currently connected, and what was connected, but is no longer, here.  The connected/disconnected devices shown are only since the last time the modem was plugged in, as it wipes the device logs when it's unplugged.  Also, when you connect or disconnect a device, it can take a minute for the info on that page to update, and it never hurts to refresh it.  

Hope this helps.  Smiley Happy  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
New Poster

I see the responses stating that satellite is "different than terrestrial data" yada yada yada...  Maybe so, some. But I was previously for 6 years with DISH, which used Hughes Gen4 and only in the beginning of my service did I ever exhaust my 10G of data. Twice in over 6 years and both times after raising **bleep** with DISHNET CS about the 'drain' it stopped. It was about 2 years between the two episodes.
Then comes the "you should upgrade" emails and after a few months I bit. I switched to the 'new and better' Hughes Gen5.  My speeds are slower than before and I zip through my 10G in 10 days or less, even with little to no video. 
I now (have to) watch most all of my videos on my cell phone and have NEVER experienced the slow buffering issues I do with Hughes and not once have I exceeded 7G of data in a month. And I watch a lot of youtube on my cell.
I honestly believe Hughes is in the token business. No other explanation makes sense that simply changing the system made that much of a difference.

Tags (1)
Distinguished Professor IV

@tmiller1958 

If you would like some help with your data usage issue, please start a new topic.  Please also refrain from using foul language in this Community. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit