cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Speed Data for one device?

Highlighted

High Speed Data for one device?

It is possible to reserve the high speed data for one device on the network? E.g. my daughters have iPads I would like to have use the data at the downgraded rate and my laptop have the high speed data pool available to it alone (I work from home, not being a data miser lol). 

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Associate Professor

Re: High Speed Data for one device?

The 5GHz wifi if set for 802.11ac and up to 80MHz bandwidth will be faster than the 2.4GHz wifi set for 802.11g and 20MHz bandwidth. If you then set up one device on the 5GHz and everything else on 2.4GHz you can feasibly accomplish this.

Edit: If you're able to, using an ethernet cable to the modem will bea lot more efficient than using the 5GHz wifi and will make use the maximum speed/bandwidth of the modem.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@robthompson 

I don't know for sure as I've never used it, but I think you may be able to accomplish something like what you want with the QOS function.  Like allocating a smaller percentage of the available bandwidth to the iPads and the higher percentage to your laptop.  Again, I've never done this, so I don't know for sure that it will work, but it may be worth trying to see if this is the case.  

To get to the QOS settings go here and use admin as the password.  Then click on Advanced Setup >> QOS.  Tick the "QOS function" box and adjust the settings to how you want them.  Don't forget to click Save Settings to save them, of course.  Then click on Traffic Mapping on the left in order to create the rule for the specific device.

I hope this helps.

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G | XPG SX8200 Pro 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Sophomore

Yup, QoS is a good option and should probably be where you start. 

If you want harder rules and caps, then you'd likely need to buy your own router that has these specific features (often bundled under parental controls) and have all devices connect through that.  Routers with that type of software will likely have more fine tuning options and controls, but QoS is probably going to get you there.

Highlighted

Good morning Rob,

We're closing this thread since we never got a reply from you, but I hope everyone's suggestions in here helped! If you still have concerns, feel free to start a new thread.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.