High Speed Tests, Horrible Buffering

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FAC
New Poster

High Speed Tests, Horrible Buffering

Speed tests are all 35-40 mps or better.  Stream on laptop just fine.  But on TV monitor, streaming through 4k compatible ROKU, connected by new Cat 6 (tried 3 cables so far), I get horrible buffering.   Up to 3 hours to watch a 45 minute show. CBS All-Access used to be pretty good - now bad.  Amazon Prime streaming video much better.   Is it my TV?  My ROKU?  TV is an older model Panasonic Viera.  Do I need to connect it through my laptop?   Is another streaming device better than ROKU with Hughesnet?   

7 REPLIES 7
MarkJFine
Professor

Streaming is not the same as downloading. Downloading the file itself could be cached and sent at high speeds. Streaming is usually done piecemeal in buffered segments and requires a tremendous amount of pinging. So download speed itself is not the determining factor for why it buffers - the actual segment sizes and ping times do, which are related to the resolution you're using. 4k is actually a worst case scenario, because the frame segments themselves would be huge and the pinging would be tremendously high. Not a good situation when your minimum ping latency is ~500mS.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Also different versions of Roku have different processing power so that could also be a factor especially at high definition: https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/Processing+Power

I'm sorry for misleading.   I mentioned that my ROKU is 4k compatible to indicate that it is of recent tech.  I have it set at 720p.   I have the Video Data Saver turned off.    I guess what I'm trying to find out is whether it is my hardware or latency.   I did not know about the segment sizing - so thanks for that.    Are you implying that if I were to use a Download Manager and cache the programs using the overnight bonus gigs I could then just play the videos without interruption?

@FAC wrote:

Are you implying that if I were to use a Download Manager and cache the programs using the overnight bonus gigs I could then just play the videos without interruption?

If you're able to do that, that would be the optimum way to do it. Plus, it would be less load on your system as well as anyone one else on your gateway.

Many people don't understand the impact streaming has on a satellite system, as well as the processing impact to others using the same data path. Imagine your entire family loading down your router with looking at Facebook videos, but in this case the router is the gateway somewhere in the West and the simple Facebook videos is actually HBO (or whatever).

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Thank you Mark.   The distinction between streaming and downloading is very helpful.   I look forward to seeing if it will make a difference.   If so, I'll mark it as a solution.

It IS worse on football nights or other times I would expect higher traffic.

@FAC wrote:

It IS worse on football nights or other times I would expect higher traffic.

I've noticed this trend for years, so I'm glad someone else notcied as well. Monday, Thursday and Sunday nights are especially bad. All day Sunday and Saturday to an extent as well. It's predictable, every football season.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

It is quite evident the system is affected by congestion -- it tends to be slower when people are at home (evenings, weekends, holidays), and when there are events (such as sports).  This is also noticeable  with cable, though the speed reduction doesn't have a significant impact on viewing experience. 

I find the system is also quite sensitive to some types of weather.