cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrible Speeds at all times of the day and night with or without data

Highlighted
Freshman

Horrible Speeds at all times of the day and night with or without data

I was told prior to installation of this service that I could expect speeds of 1-3 MBps even after our data cap had been reached. Our 20 GB of data is gone within 4-5 days. That is with all updates turned off on all devices within the home. Do we have a data leech somewhere within the home, possible but even after our data is gone the speed is anywhere from 500kbps to 800kbps. That is even during our Bonus Data time which we still have plenty of data. just attempting to watch Netflix is torture at these speeds. 2 minutes of video and buffer for 30-45 seconds. I was not told at time of purchase that these would be my speeds. The service is useless as it stands and I'm quite ready to cancel my service. I understand that the dish on my home is an investment that your company needs to recoup. You can have that thing back and I will have my roof repaired at my own expense! Paying your service $400 fee after only 2 billing cycles in Robbery! 

16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Professor I

Re: Horrible Speeds at all times of the day and night with or without data

Before the reps can help you, you will need to run speed tests from Testmy.net and post the link to the results. You will also have to run a modem isolation test, as described here.  Without the tests, they're unable to help you find the problems and fix them. If you're unwilling to go through the necessary and required troubleshooting, you will need to pay the $400 to cancel the service.  

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

Freshman

Why would i run a modem isolation test when the amount of data used isnt in question. The speed that i am able to run after the data cap has been reached are what are in question. If I cant achieve 1-3 MBPS after the data cap is reached then the service is useless once the data cap is reached. Which then becomes a money makeing scheme for them by selling me data tokens to reach the 25MBPS stated. Even during the Bonus Data time frames with 30gb left the speed is roughly 500Kbps to 800Kbps.

Assistant Professor

@sheem2153

Your original post was a little confusing. Are you trying to say:
a) Your plan isn't big enough to support the amount of data you use?
b) That you have a data leak eroding your Anytime plan data?
c) You have a speed issue?

d) All of the above?

Typically when people complain about speeds it's because they've used all of their Anytime data and have gotten throttled, so I'm pretty sure @maratsade assumed b), which was appropriate.

However, if you are getting less than 1Mbps between 2-8am (when the Bonus period is active), then there's clearly a technical issue that needs to be looked into.

How are you determining the speeds you're getting? The preferred method is by doing a 25MB Download test on TestMy. Since you're out of Anytime data, best to do this before 8am while you're supposed to be unthrottled during the Bonus period as a quick check, and post a link of your results here.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Freshman

Freshman

Why should I only do this during 2am-8am. My issue is that during the anytime time frame that I should get 1-3 Mbps on a single device as I was promised. 

Assistant Professor

@sheem2153 wrote:

https://testmy.net/db/gFLhZtHn_

Understand, but that was done a 3pm while you are still throttled. Need you to show between 2-8am, if possible.

Please know that regardless what was said about it being 1-3Mbps, the throttle is basically set to be up to 3Mbps. In theory, that still includes what you're seeing given any kind of network congestion.

I'm trying to see what happens when there's no throttle and little to no congestion, which is typical of a Bonus period.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Freshman

https://testmy.net/db/g8o2g-1yb

yet another test. All of this done with a single device connected to the service. No other devices connected to hog bandwidth.

Assistant Professor

@sheem2153 wrote:

yet another test.

again, not before 8am.

Freshman

Again Im not worried about speeds between 2 am and 8am. That time is a seperate issue that i will address after i have had time to run tests if i get up at that time of the day. I should be able to get 1-3 Mbps even during the congestion periods or they should have stated during the account setup that once you reach your data cap you will experience up to 1Mbps bandwidth. With that bandwidth being split between all devices on the network. It really does not matter what the speed is between 2-8am when the issue at hand is the throttling speed during regular hours. Yes I understand that you want to know if I can get 25mbps during 2 am and 8am to determine if their is an issue with total bandwidth and without even performing speed test during that time I am still not seeing the speeds im supposed to. I have 20 gb left in bonus data at 4 am this morning i couldnt watch netflix with buffering every 2 minutes for 45seconds or more. With no devices on the net I should not see any buffering at 4am.