cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrible Speeds on Gen 5

Liz

Re: Horrible Speeds on Gen 5

Good morning Jon,

Thanks, I hope you had a good holiday weekend as well. As of now we don't have any news from engineering regarding speeds. Once we do have something we'll let you know.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Jonbarnette
Sophomore

Any updates as of now? If it's any help, I'm still having the same uplink issues even with the new modem that i got from Gen 5 upgrade.

Screenshot_1.png

Jonbarnette
Sophomore

Also is there any possibility that the new things were installed incorrectly by the tech? The satellite being pointed incorrectly or something? It seems the uplink problems are shared with others as well - so maybe find the common reason we are having these issues.

Jonbarnette
Sophomore

I fixed the uplink errors or someone did at the same time i tried something. Seems that the speeds are doing much better as of now at least at 3:25am. However i'd like to know if there is any specific reason as to why i can't load youtube videos. 8mbps should be plenty of speed to watch youtube videos at 360p without a single problem but they seem to constantly buffer and i have no idea why. 

Liz

Hi Jon, Thanks for this update. Engineering released new code on your beam recently to address your initial concerns. Let me run new diagnostics on your site and dig into your system a bit regarding your current video buffering concern. I'll post back once I have any updates or other instructions. In the meantime, please disable the Video Data Saver and connect a machine directly to the modem. Let me know if buffering persists. Your cooperation is much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Jonbarnette
Sophomore

How do i disable that feature? And the problem persists even directly to the modem.

Im happy the speed issue is fixed but is their no compensation for my internet being basically non existant for almost a month?
Liz

Hi Jon,

There are three ways to manage the Video Data Saver, just pick your preferred way from here to learn how: http://support.hughesnet.com/faq/internet/what-is-video-data-saver

Regarding your other concern, I PMed you a while back about that. I will send you another PM with more details.

Jonbarnette
Sophomore

Ok thank you. After turning off that feature that buffer speed improved a good bit. But the video's still say the overall connection speed of the video's are only 500kbps. 

Liz

Good morning Jon,

Glad to hear that that improved video playback a bit. Keep in mind that the purpose of the Video Data Saver is to let you stream videos using less data, so if it's disabled, you'll use more data if you try to watch higher quality vids, like HD.

Jonbarnette
Sophomore

I understand that concept, but i should still easily be able to stream at 360p during that "Video Data Saver" and i shouldn't be getting only 2k kbps whilst it's off and my download speed (before FAP mode) was in the 10's (still not close to the 25mbps gen 5 is suppose to have). 

So something is getting throttled somewhere on your all's end, simply because i run diagnostics on my data with wireshark and it's going to every site just fine but youtube. And the issue is out of my scope of vision due to the data technically being sent on my end.