cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get the asthmith heading for my dish?

Re: How can I get the asthmith heading for my dish?

Took me 20 minutes moving the dish every 1/8 of an inch then waiting for 30 seconds to see if there was a change on the receiving signal strength. went from 15 to 35 to the level I am at now.... I am getting a Satellite Receive Signal Strength of 126. Best number I can get out there. 
Tamped down the ground around the pole to try and lock it in a little better. 

Now showing 126 steady and State Code is back to 0.0.0

Thanks everyone for the ideas and information to get me back up and running.
Assistant Professor

Well, not really recommended for most people to try but good job!
Advanced Tutor

Congratulations! A 126 signal is pretty good in most areas.

Likely the post was never pinned at the bottom to prevent turning in the concrete, or there wasn't enough concrete poured to prevent it from turning in the dirt.

If you're inclined, you may be able to stabilize that pole by cleaning the dirt from on top of and around the old concrete at the base of the pole, drilling a hole through through the post an inch or two above the old concrete and inserting a bolt through the hole (this prevents turning), and then pouring 4 sacks of readi-mix concrete (about 2.5 square feet) into a 2' X 2' X 6" square wooden form surrounding the concrete and the base of the pole. This will lock the pole into the new concrete. Make sure you protect the cable and crown the wet concrete so that it sheds water away from the pole.

NOTE: If you're in an area prone to frost heave, then you should build the form narrower and higher so a heavy frost underneath the new concrete won't lift the whole mess out of the ground.

This will take some work and you may want to wait for the tech to come out.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com

I was assisting the installer at the time and I don't remember pinning the pole before he dumped in the quick set. He dug the round hole with a post hole digger and dropped in the pole. I am thinking about carefully digging around the pole to the concrete and pouring a square block on the top of the old concrete to prevent any movement. I understand what you are talking about. I will make sure to pin the pole into that to double block things from moving. Problem we had was the wind in that thunderstorm was gusts of 40 - 50 mph.
My experience in amateur radio communications and installing my own push up poles really helps me understand the need for proper installation.
Advanced Tutor

You'll do fine Smiley Happy
Distinguished Professor IV

126?  Nice job. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Glad you got it. Let the installer fix the pole for you.. Then repoint it.
Associate Professor

Someone was suppose to call yesterday and set up a date to have the installer to come out but my phone didn't ring all day.
Advanced Tutor

Saturday = unlikely.