cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How is it legal to sell this service?

How is it legal to sell this service?

Most of Ohio is cloudy 300/365 days a year, with heavy cloud cover 200/365 days.  With even the slightest cloud cover, my speeds are in the kbps range, not the 25 Mbps I am paying for.  It basicaly never works, but when I call tech support the excuse is always "the weather".  If this system can't work the majority of days of the year, it should not be sold in this region, period!

17 REPLIES 17
Freshman

Re: How is it legal to sell this service?

I live in a rural area and the weather is actually pretty clear 75% of the year and my internet hasn’t ever reached 25 MPs EVER! Granted I’ve only had the service for a little over 5 months but I thought I would be getting around that anyways. Mine usually stays in the kbp/s. Unfortunately this is the only internet service that is available where I live. If I had any other choice I believe I would take it. As for the reps they have always been friendly and easy to work with. That’s about the only bright side to this service.
Distinguished Professor IV

@Ohio_is_Cloudy

If your service speed is dropping because of normal cloud cover, there may be an aiming issue.  General cloud cover shouldn't affect your service.  

Also, please keep in mind that inclement weather at your gateway can effect your service just like inclement weather at your own location.  Your gateway is located in another state from you.  So even if it's clear at your location, that doesn't necessarily mean that weather isn't affecting your service.  This site, which is operated by one of the Community members, can help you determine where your gateway is.  This way, if you encounter an issue, you can look at that city's weather to see if that could be what's causing it.    

In case you normally don't, it would be best for you to leave your modem plugged in so that the reps can run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment if they deem it necessary.  The reps are on M-F from 8AM to 5PM EST, though I'm pretty sure they're off Tuesday, and they may be off for part of the day on Monday, as well.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Freshman

I really appreciate the info. I think they checked my equipment and the radio and modem need to be replaced. Which this was two weeks ago and like I told the rep who is trying to help me, I know this isn’t their fault but I still haven’t received a call or visit from the company to repair or replace anything. I did message her about it. She has been very helpful to me. I think she will get it resolved. Thanks again for the site to check my gateway.
Highlighted
Junior

As you learned, there is a correctable problem if you are getting slow speeds and weather outages.

My internet does remarkably well with cloud cover and even with snow on the dish.  This is a FAR CRY from when Hughesnet first came out when a passing butterfly would knock your internet out for days at a time.

The rest of this isn't going to be helpful, but you should be aware.

First level Hughesnet support for the most part are low-level drones.  They read a script and have no independent thought.

Once you get bootsted up to Advanced Support, then you're talking to actual people who can independently think.  You're in good hands.  But you have to fight your way through the first level first.  They are like Mr. Burns' rabid dogs who are designed to keep you from bothering the important people.

If you have to have a contactor come out to do work, good luck.  I had something like three no shows in a row, and HughesNet customer service basically told me to go suck eggs, there was nothing they would do other than set up another appointment for them to no show again.  Ask to talk to a supervisor and they give you the same runaround.

They got you and they know it.

Eventually, they did give me a $30 credit for three months, but after three no-shows, they owe me a LOT more.

Alas, until those LEO satallites come online, we're doomed to be their prisoners.

tl;dr Keep an eye out on no-shows from techs if they have to come out, and don't be afraid to complain, even if it is to a regulating agency.

Professor

"If you have to have a contactor come out to do work, good luck.  I had something like three no shows in a row"

That's an issue you need to take up with the contractor's company. 

Complaining to regulatory agencies is not the magic bullet so many people think it is, and resolution (if there is any) could take months or more. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

lighthope1 wrote:

As you learned, there is a correctable problem if you are getting slow speeds and weather outages.

My internet does remarkably well with cloud cover and even with snow on the dish.  This is a FAR CRY from when Hughesnet first came out when a passing butterfly would knock your internet out for days at a time.

The rest of this isn't going to be helpful, but you should be aware.

First level Hughesnet support for the most part are low-level drones.  They read a script and have no independent thought.

Once you get bootsted up to Advanced Support, then you're talking to actual people who can independently think.  You're in good hands.  But you have to fight your way through the first level first.  They are like Mr. Burns' rabid dogs who are designed to keep you from bothering the important people.

If you have to have a contactor come out to do work, good luck.  I had something like three no shows in a row, and HughesNet customer service basically told me to go suck eggs, there was nothing they would do other than set up another appointment for them to no show again.  Ask to talk to a supervisor and they give you the same runaround.

They got you and they know it.

Eventually, they did give me a $30 credit for three months, but after three no-shows, they owe me a LOT more.

Alas, until those LEO satallites come online, we're doomed to be their prisoners.

tl;dr Keep an eye out on no-shows from techs if they have to come out, and don't be afraid to complain, even if it is to a regulating agency.

Junior

@maratsade wrote:

"If you have to have a contactor come out to do work, good luck.  I had something like three no shows in a row"

That's an issue you need to take up with the contractor's company. 

Complaining to regulatory agencies is not the magic bullet so many people think it is, and resolution (if there is any) could take months or more. 

HughesNet is responsible for their subcontractors.  That is the law.  If they send someone out, and they no-show, HughesNet is responsible for it.  If HughesNet wants to persue the subcontactor, that is up to them.

Additionally, and I forgot to put it in my post, was that another HughesNet subcontractor was available and willing to come out and do the work, but HughesNet refused to use them.  Something about them being contracted for installations only and not repairs.  (I'm trying to recall this from memory, so the exact terms may not be accurate.)

So no, no quarter is being given to HughesNet. They screwed up.  Badly.

And yes, complaining to regulators is pretty useless.  The Better Business Bureau especially.  (I think it's hillarious that the initials for that organization is censored on this board.)

@C-Walker 

I'm glad the info for finding your gateway was helpful to you.  

Regarding the speed issue you're experiencing, if it doesn't get resolved soon I would start a new topic in Tech Support so one of the reps on here can help you.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Professor

"HughesNet is responsible for their subcontractors. That is the law."

You don't say. 

"And yes, complaining to regulators is pretty useless. The Better Business Bureau especially."

They're not a regulatory agency.

"Something about them being contracted for installations only and not repairs."

This may have something to do with contracts or some other tedious law thing.

@maratsade wrote: 

"Something about them being contracted for installations only and not repairs."

This may have something to do with contracts or some other tedious law thing.

I believe it's just the way they contract.  Installation doesn't necessarily require the same level of knowledge and skill as that of troubleshooting and/or repair.