cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How+is+it+that+Hughes+Net+can+provide+internet+services+but+noy+Wi+Fi?

Highlighted

How+is+it+that+Hughes+Net+can+provide+internet+services+but+noy+Wi+Fi?

I've been trying to connect my wireless printer(Canon MG3620) to my PC(Toshiba laptop). Spoke to Hughes Net tech support and he transferred me to someone I thought was trying to scam me.  Why is it that Hughes Net doesn't provide wifi?  I am very new to the pc world.  Am I missing something?
14 REPLIES 14
Honorary Alumnus

Re: How+is+it+that+Hughes+Net+can+provide+internet+services+but+noy+Wi+Fi?

You are missing a router.
Hughes is an ISP.
The service stops at the modems LAN port.
If a customer chooses to network their connection the they have to set up a network.
If you need help with that we here in the Community will be more than happy to help.
Distinguished Professor III

Connecting your wireless printer to your computer has nothing to do with Hughesnet.  That is your responsibility.  Hughesnet only provides internet, nothing more. 

But, as Gwalk stated, there are people on here who would be happy to help you with this. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Alum

Hi Mel,

Welcome and thanks for posting. As stated by Gwalk and Gabe, you'll need a wireless router set up to print. Unless you would rather physically connect from your printer to laptop via USB cable. Which ever is more convenient. Did your printer come with an installation CD or a pamphlet with an address to go to and download its software? Hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you,
Chris 
Assistant Professor

Could try setting up a virtual WiFi router on the laptop. Never tried one myself.

Just one available: https://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/

I have a router but not a wireless router connected to modem and pc.  I do have an address to download. Thanks, Mel

Chris,

With this particular printer a router isn't necessary.  It can be connected directly to the laptop's Wi-Fi. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Mel Simon,

Check out this page...

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mg-s...

You can download the manual here and it gives an explanation on how to wirelessly connect the printer to your laptop without the need of a router.  It consists of enabling the wifi on the printer and "discovering" it by your wifi connection in your laptop.  With the software for the printer installed on the computer, you can print wirelessly this way.  The instructions start on page 501 in the manual. 

I'm going to be leaving for the day, but if you don't understand it, there's probably someone on here who will be able to help.

There's also a wireless help tab.  It only explains this method part way, but enough to get you to where you can use the installation disk to finish it. 

Good luck.

So far you're AWESOME.  I'm gonna give it a try.  Remember, I'm new to the PC World.  Thanks, oh so much.  I'll get in touch with the outcome.

Mel,

On that link I gave there is also a wireless help tab.  It only explains the Direct Connection partly, but it shows where, on the installation disk (it tells you when to put the disk in), you can continue with direct wireless connection instead of the more complicated one. 

Again, good luck.

And you're very welcome Smiley Happy