cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to increase upload speeds?

Wilson4200
New Poster

How to increase upload speeds?

My favorite thing to do when I get home is play COD Zombies. My download speeds are always excellent at 20±mbps,  but I look at my upload speeds are also ridiculously low 200-350kbps. Is there anyway to increase this or did I just waist money on internet that I can't even play a game on?

6 REPLIES 6
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: How to increase upload speeds?

@Wilson4200 

How are you testing your upload speed?  To get an accurate measure of your upload speed, please run a few tests at testmy.net using the manual 4MB test file, and be sure to use a device that is connected via LAN cable, not WiFi, as WiFi can introduce to many variables.  I'll post the full instructions below. 

Please also keep in mind that online gaming does not tend to work well with satellite internet due to the high latency.  Turn based games are okay, but anything real time can experience significant issues.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share your testmy.net "My Results" page URL with us here. A batch each in the morning, afternoon and evening is the most ideal, but the reps are well aware that not everyone can do this, so please just run a batch when you can.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem while the speed tests are being performed
-the testing device should be the ONLY device connected to the HughesNet modem while testing
-use the manual 25MB size download test file
-if testing upload instead of download, use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test in the batch at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please see this site.

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you don't know how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem, please see "How do I manage my built-in WiFi modem?" in this PDF. Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Wilson4200
New Poster

How many times do you have to do a speed test when every time I run the test. It 20+mbps download and upload time very from 200kbps to 350 kbps. I don't think running a speed test over and over is going to improve my internet speed. I see you posting the same thing on everyone's post about slow speeds. I have made the account and everything. Kinda pointless to do a 4mbs upload, when it takes about 2 to 3 minutes to do a 3mbs download which is what should be hughesnet upload speed.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

Running the speed tests is a necessary step to having the speed issue addressed in this community.  The reps here will not get involved in investigating speed issues if they don't have the the data, and the speed tests, done like requested over about 3 days at different times of the day, provide the data that the network engineers need to figure out what may be going on.   

You don't have to do it if you think it's pointless. You just won't get the issue addressed here. Maybe you can try the phone reps, or chat?

Wilson4200
New Poster

Thank you no that makes sense on the speed test, more curious in other ways to get it resolved cause I cannot do the 3 day test option for I'm far to busy and only home at mornings and night

maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

Even if you could run a batch of 3 tests in the morning and another batch in the evening, over 4 days (to get more data points since you're not around during the day), that'd be helpful. 

Have you tried the phone reps? Not sure you will get much there, but couldn't hurt to try.  

One thing you could try to affect the speed while gaming is disconnecting everything from the network except the device you're using, and see if that helps.  Not a guarantee that it will, but it might.  

You can play games with HughesNet, according to their FAQ, but not if they require real time connections.  

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Wilson4200 wrote:

How many times do you have to do a speed test when every time I run the test. It 20+mbps download and upload time very from 200kbps to 350 kbps. I don't think running a speed test over and over is going to improve my internet speed. I see you posting the same thing on everyone's post about slow speeds. I have made the account and everything. Kinda pointless to do a 4mbs upload, when it takes about 2 to 3 minutes to do a 3mbs download which is what should be hughesnet upload speed.

It's not meant to fix the problem.  It's meant to demonstrate it and give the reps pertinent info about it.

It's not "kinda pointless".  What's "kinda pointless" is asking for help, then giving flak when that help is offered because you either don't like or don't understand the reason for the troubleshooting step given and required.  

Good day to you.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro