How to turn off automatic updates on Windows 10

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bravelute
Spectator

How to turn off automatic updates on Windows 10

Before switching to Hughesnet, Windows 10 was repeatedly downloading the latest update on its own in the background.  When we reached the 1600s, that update would download, but could not install due to some problem which technicians were not able to fix.  They said to just wait until that but was ironed out and things would go back to "normal."

Then I switched from cable to Hughesnet.  My  PC would try to download the updates as much as 3 times in one day because the download still couldn't install.  I checked in the settings and see nothing there to help. I have tried to change my active hours to 6 a.m. to 2 a.m. but it only allows me to be active for 12 hours.

My technicians don't seem to be able to turn off this feature.  So when I need to use software I have on it that won't work on my Macbook, I turn off wireless connection and set the PC to Airport.  No more repeated downloads and no more using it for anything on the internet.

Something seems wrong with this picture.  I'd switch to total Mac, except I need windows OS to run my embroidery design software.

7 REPLIES 7
MarkJFine
Professor

Real simple.

1. Open Settings and select "Network and Internet"

Untitled1.jpg

2. On the next screen, click "Change connection properties"

Untitled2.jpg

3. On the next screen, flip the "Set as metered connection" toggle to On.

Untitled3.jpg

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Bravelute

If you're having issues with updates downloading over and over again because they're failing to install, you may want to look into that, as it what could be causing the constant update failure.  If you are not able to figure it out, you may want to think about reinstalling your operating system, whether by using the tools or software that came with your computer, or by downloading a new copy of the Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft, burning it to disk or USB flash drive, and installing from that.

Regarding stopping the updates, in addition to what Mark listed, if you have the Pro version you can set the way updates work, sort of like you could with previous versions of Windows.  I presently have mine set to notify me of updates, but to not download them until I tell it to do so.    

You can also change the time period when any updates occur, or more accurately, when they won't.

By changing the time period when you use your machine from 8am to 2am, you can exclude it from doing any updates during your Anytime period, and restrict it to Bonus time.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

From what I understood changing the hours of usage does not stop the updates from downloading.  That just does not let windows automatically restart.  The updates will still be downloaded in the background when the system finds available updates. Then will restart when you are not using the computer.  

Also to note, when you change your connection to Metered no updates will be downloaded until you go to Updates and Sercrity and manually click download or go back to Network Settings and turn metered connection back off.  

By setting a connection to metered, no updates BUT important security patches will be installed.

There is an option in Windows 10 Pro that allows updates to be paused for up to 30 days. After that the computer has to update.

There is a Windows Update troubleshooting wizard in the Settings app. You may want to run that.
Ryzen 7 2700/16GB RAM/X470 Motherboard/250 GB m.2 SSD/2TB HDD/4GB RX560/Windows 10 Pro

I can read too, but nothing has updated automatically (important patches or otherwise) while I've been testing Win10 in metered mode. Don't believe the part about "unless there are important updates" it doesn't do anything at all.

I physically have to go into Updates and manually do a check. Then, once something's been found, you have to click a another button to start the update process. This was done through 2 major update cycles. Not once did Windows do the MS thing, and think for itself.

In fact, Office 365 might detect there are updates while in metered mode, but won't update anything at all until you turn metered off.

Amanda

Hey Bravelute, I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. Thank you as well MarkJFine and GabeU for the helpful information.

-Jorge