cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge Issues with Speed at HughesNet... switched from Exede

Assistant Professor

Re: Huge Issues with Speed at HughesNet... switched from Exede

@Gregg

I don't know if you'll be able to find help here as you have a business account and this community is for residential customers.  But, with that said, you may still want to create your own topic to separate you issue from the OPs.  The reps may steer you in the right direction.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Freshman

As much as I'd like to think that HughesNet, Exede, and the other companies out there are here to help instead of make a quick buck, it's just simply not the truth. That is why they rope you into a 2-year contract and make it almost impossible to get out.

The reality is that HughesNet knows they have issues and there isn't anything they can do to fix it. After reading quite a few threads on this forum, have you noticed how many hoops a customer has to jump through just to get someone to help diagnose a problem? Only use this website, only run a speed test this way, etc. And then they ask questions to string along the thread that further increases the time it takes to actually a) figure out what the problem is and b) try to fix it. But after reading others on this forum, I don't think HughesNet actually fixes anything. 

It is very frustrating from a customer point of view and there is little we can do. I would suggest dropping your service and going with someone like Exede. I didn't have any issues with them but switched to HughesNet because they offered larger data packages. Now Exede offers the same thing... and I never had the speed issues with them as I do with HughesNet.

Very disappointing...

Assistant Professor

@dirtred9

I have to say, that's complete and utter nonsense.  

The beams having the present speed issues are acknowledged and being worked on, as is evidenced by the posts from the official reps.  

As for others having speed issues, tests need to be run, on certain sites (accuracy and info), and in certain ways (baseline info), to not only verify the problem, but point to the cause of it.  The further questions also help to pinpoint the cause of the issue.  All speed issues are not caused by a single thing.  Figuring out what is causing them takes time and effort.  There is no "Easy Fix It" button.   

Hughesnet isn't unique in having a contract.  Numerous companies do. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Freshman

@GabeU

Thanks for your concern.

To correct some of the things you said, HughesNet is most definitely unique. I've had internet provided by HughesNet, Exede, Comcast, and AT&T. Over the years, I have had issues with each of them, but HughesNet is the only company to sell a good or service promoting certain standards and being unable to meet those standards. On top of that, I have voiced my issue on this forum and have YET to have any HughesNet employee actually contact me or try to solve my issue. Another way they are unique is wanting the customer to pay for issues that are HughesNet's fault. If I had an issue that could not be resolved over the phone by a tech at previous companies, they would send someone out ASAP to look at the hardware and diagnose the problem. At HughesNet, they want to charge me to have someone come out or have me run diagnostics and report back to them. And in the case of the later instance, even when I do so, I still can't get an employee of the company to respond to figure out what the issue is.

This is quinessential "over promise, under deliver." HughesNet promises, via advertising, to be the fastest and best rural internet there is, makes more false promises over the phone, but is unable to keep up when the service is actually installed and after you have signed a 2 year contract. All the while telling their customers to "be patient" and that "we are working on the issues." Why are they having issues? Why did they launch and start providing a service before they knew they could follow through on providing that service? And why would they hurry to resolve the problem? They have us "locked" into a 2 year contract so they can take their time resolving it but still sell the service as if nothing is wrong. Do you think they tell new customers on the phone that they are having issues with certain beams and that speeds may not be as advertised? Please tell me you don't ACTUALLY think that the salespeople on the phone are hoenst when it comes to how the service is currently operating.

The answer to that last question is all you need to know about HughesNet...

Assistant Professor

@dirtred9

Your mistake is equating an occasional bad sales rep with all of HughesNet.  Sales reps who mislead are dealt with, as has been noted in this community.  

"Fastest and best rural internet there is."  That's advertising.  Tide gets your clothes the cleanest.  Coors is the best tasting.  DirecTV has the best HD.  Verizon has the most coverage.  Sprint has the fastest best data plans.  Walmart has the best prices.  It's advertising.  Define rural.  Define best.  Define fastest rural.  I'm rural.  It's the fastest and best internet I can get.  You need to learn about advertising and why what's claimed is relative.  

They do care about their customers.  Whether you believe that or not doesn't matter to me.  

Edit:  In addition, the request to troubleshoot is because issues are not always on Hughesnet's end.  Troubleshooting helps to determine the cause of a problem, and whether a truck roll is needed.  If one won't bother to troubleshoot, that's on them.  

Freshman

@GabeU

Thank you for the explanation of advertising. I'm quite well versed in that, though it does not change my stance on HughesNet. The problem with your examples is that the advertising done by the other companies (Tide, Comcast, Verizon, AT&T) is defined by such a small margin of error or difference between competitors that no one can really tell a difference. The Spring commercials are prime examples of that... can consumers really tell the difference in a 1% network variance?

HughesNet might be the only option where you are located, so you have nothing to compare them to. Where I am located I can get HughesNet, Exede, a hot-spot from one of the cellular companies, or even radio tower (fixed wireless) service. At this point it's moot whether HughesNet said they were the fastest or the best for a rural location. What stands is that they advertised a service that is unusable from about 5:00PM to 10:00PM at night without ever cautioning the customer that this would happen. And based on some of the other threads, knew it was happening when my service started.

I don't know if you are an employee or not, but it is clear that you are partial to HughesNet to the point of defending them, which is fine. I am glad you have no issues with them. But on the other hand, I as well as many others ARE having issues. I pay for the best service they provide (50gb of data) but am only able to use it in the middle of the day or while I sleep. It cannot be used during evening/night hours.

Couple my speed issues with the fact that, STILL, no one from the company has reached out to try and resolve the issue is beyond defending... and I don't see how you can.

**PS: Based on what I posted earlier in this thread, the "known issues" with certain beams did not even include the beam that I am on. So whatever outstanding issues that HughesNet has and are trying to resolve aren't directly associated with what I am dealing with.

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Only those with Mod or Employee next to their name are HughesNet employees.  

I'm partial to Hughesnet in that I use it, it works well for me, and I call out nonsense when I see it.  

When you perform the testmy.net tests as laid out by Corrosive you'll mostly likely get a reply from the reps.  This is almost assuredly what they are waiting on you to do.  They need those tests to be run, as laid out, to proceed with speed issues, especially when your issues are not connected to the aforementioned beam issues.

Edit:  The ball is in your court.  Perform the requested speed tests so the reps have them to send to the engineers or don't perform the tests.  One will get you help.  

Freshman

I have posted my testmy link. It's in the first page of this thread.

New Poster

What is also now interesting, is this community is for residential customers?  Then why is my business account at this site?

It seems to me, if I wanted to separate business from residential service, then why would you put my account here with all the residential customers?

TY, Gregg

Assistant Professor

dirtred9 wrote:

I have posted my testmy link. It's in the first page of this thread.

Ah.  Yes it is.  My mistake.