cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HugesNet cheating speed test?

inspectorzinn
New Poster

HugesNet cheating speed test?

New HugesNet customer, Google speed test shows 35 to 40 mbps (HugesNet shows same on their end), yet I can't even watch a Youtube video on ultra fuzzy quality without several seconds of load, followed by pauses and buffering. My hotspot shows between 3 - 7mbps and instantly loads Youtube videos (on the same quality). 

My suspicion is that HugesNet cheats the speed tests because. How? Well according to HugesNet the ability to analyzing data packets is essential to its speed. I'm pretty sure it can tell when you are doing a speed test and max it out (hence 40mbps). HugesNet says it prioritizes work from home and school by throtling entertainment (streaming) so I'm certain they have this capability. 

If I use a VPN which hides the data, my speed goes from 40mbps to under 1 mbps. Aside from the shock I can't work from home as this requires a VPN, I think it shows the true speed of Hugesnet, as it needs to read the data packets to selectively boost speed tests. (Yeah I know VPNs cause latency but on a hotspot its only 10 to 20% not 95%). The speed I experience from using a VPN is very close to the speed I experience without using one, the only difference is what the speed tests show because HugesNet can detect them and boost them when I don't use a VPN.

4 REPLIES 4
maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

Re: HugesNet cheating speed test?

What you're seeing with streaming is latency, which is very noticeable when using satellite internet, as the signal must travel long distances.   Your hot spot is probably a terrestrial account, such as Verizon. The latency with terrestrial internet is minimal. 

Using a VPN slows your experience down even more, which is even more noticeable if you're using satellite internet, and HughesNet does not recommend or support the use of VPNs for this reason. 

inspectorzinn
New Poster

I think your missing the point, why is 40mbps satalite internet three times slower than a 4 mbps hotspot (No VPNs involved)? What does the mbps even matter if it doesn't reflect the actual user experience? 

Why is using a VPN on HugesNet as bad as not using a VPN on HugesNet? I would think not using a VPN would be way better? From a user perspective they both feel like 1mbps speeds. The only difference is what result the speed test says. Which is why I'm saying it's cheated. 

maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

"why is 40mbps satalite internet three times slower than a 4 mbps hotspot"

Latency and congestion. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@inspectorzinn wrote:

I think your missing the point, why is 40mbps satalite internet three times slower than a 4 mbps hotspot (No VPNs involved)?  

It's not.  The latency with geostationary satellite internet is considerably higher than that of terrestrial service.  Twenty times or more.  That latency, coupled with system congestion, which is most prominent in the evenings, negatively affects certain activities because of the way they work.  One of the biggest is streaming.

@inspectorzinn wrote:

Why is using a VPN on HugesNet as bad as not using a VPN on HugesNet? I would think not using a VPN would be way better?  

VPNs can negatively affect speed with HughesNet because of specific processes they have in place to help transfer data in the most efficient manner, including those which help to mitigate the effects of the aforementioned high latency.  However, that doesn't mean using a VPN negatively affects every activity performed with HughesNet.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro