cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hughes Net is a rip-off. Speeds are 1/30th of advertised...

Freshman

Hughes Net is a rip-off. Speeds are 1/30th of advertised...

On top of the garbage data caps, the advertised speeds are a total lie. Tech support says "reboot your router" like I have not already done it 100 times... Anyone else as else here notice the same???
28 REPLIES 28
Freshman

Re: Hughes Net is a rip-off. Speeds are 1/30th of advertised...

Have you exceed your primary data? If so that could be why your speed is slowed down.
Distinguished Professor IV

@JT_Money

If you'd like help with your speed issues, the reps will need some speed tests to be performed.  The instructions for the speed tests are as follows....

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the manual 25MB size download test file 

-If testing upload instead of download, please use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you are unaware of how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Freshman

Re data cap exceeded... Yes. But even then the advertised speed is 1-3 Mbps, and I'm getting less than 100 Kbps.

I'm sure someone is going to read this and spew some garbage about bytes and bits... **bleep**. Consumers think in the numbers that they see on their computers. Intentionally advertising using different "types of numbers" is false advertising.

On top of the pathetic data cap policy (50GB? The average consumer uses over 200GB in a month. Oh wait, tokens... For 3 dollars a **bleep** Gig. $75 for an extra pathetic 25GB... Hughes is obviously a company whose data policies were designed to intentionally rip off their customers.)

Anyway, as I was saying, on top of the pathetic data cap policy, intentionally misleading customers about the provided internet speeds is blatant misrepresentation.
Freshman

Re speed tests, a) no. And b) who the **bleep** still has Ethernet in their home??? All I have in my house are phones, tablets, and laptops. My laptop doesn't even have an Ethernet port on it, it didn't come with one. I'm not about to go out and buy some extra thing just so an OBVIOUSLY behind the times service provider can try to tell me that the current STANDARD for connecting to the internet is somehow the cause of their service being substandard...

Also, the bit about having to make sure that your data isn't being used by the service itself???? What kind of crap is that???? My PROVIDED modem could be using up my data??? Holy flaming Christ, I honestly thought my opinion of this company could not get any worse but it just did.

@JT_Money

First off, if you're in FAP don't bother with the speed tests.  You need to not be in FAP when you run the speed tests.   

Secondly, HughesNet is a company who data cap policies are built around what the system can handle and what's fair for its customers.  

Thirdly, no one forced you to sign up for HughesNet, and no one is forcing you to stay with HughesNet.   

Lastly, there is no false advertising with numbers.  Every ISP advertises in Mbps, and every speed test out there measures in Mbps.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

@JT_Money

If you don't have the ability to run the tests while connected with an ethernet cable then run the tests using the HT2000W's WiFi, but ensure that NOTHING else is connected via WiFI at the time you run the tests.  

Edit:  The reps will have to verify if tests run via WiFi will be acceptable.  @Liz @Amanda  

"Also, the bit about having to make sure that your data isn't being used by the service itself???? What kind of crap is that???? My PROVIDED modem could be using up my data???"  I have no clue what you're referring to.  

Lastly, please watch your language.  This is a public site.  

Freshman

To clarify my expectations, I recently moved back into my family house in the country to help out my mom with her financial issues, previously I had internet with a service provider who advertised 30Mbps speeds, and I averaged 25Mbps on my downloads. (With a TB per month data cap, by the way.) I was even paying about the same as what Hughes is charging me now for almost the same advertised service...

So what I'm asking for from Hughes isn't such a difficult thing to provide for a service provider who actually tries to provide a decent service to their customers...
Associate Professor

Funny how a wired network connection is behind the times, when it's more reliable, and often, faster, than a wireless 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz connection.

Sorry, but if you want to be childish in responses, then... /shrugs/

@JT_Money wrote:
I had internet with a service provider who advertised 30Gbps speeds, and I averaged 25Gbps on my downloads. 

There is presently no ISP in the United States that provides, nor advertises, speeds of 30Gbps, nor 25Gbps, nor anything anywhere near that speed.  

BTW, at a speed of 25Gbps you'd be over your 1TB data cap in just under six minutes.