HughesNet Speed Test Fails

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lakeland4
Freshman

HughesNet Speed Test Fails

When I attempt to run the Speed Test that is on the my.hughesnet.com website under Support>System Performance, most of the time I get this result:

502 Bad Gateway

nginx/1.0.15

This problem started a couple of months ago. I have tried rebooting the modem and the computers with no luck. 

I would appreciate it if someone could take a look at this.

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I've never been able to run that speed test on my home network.  I use Testmy.net now, which is the required testing site to have speed issues addressed here anyway, so it works for me. 

Liz

Good morning lakeland4,

Thanks for posting. Restarting your devices is a good move. In addition to that, I would also try these to see if there's any difference:

1. Refresh the Page
2. Try Another Browser
3. Clear Your Browser’s Cache and Cookies
4. Check Your Plugins and extensions (go into incognito/private mode to quickly go into no-extension mode)
5. Restart Your Devices
6. Change your DNS Servers (changing to Google's is fine)

Please let me know if the 502 error persists after all of those steps.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

In going through the above steps, when a speed test fails with the result being the 502 error the actual download speed seems to play a factor. 

Below is a chart showing the total number of speed tests run at various steps (excluding Step 6). The actual download speeds at the time of each test were recorded and the results were placed in one of two speed ranges.

lakeland4_0-1647981346823.png

Note: Failed speed test speeds measured with speedtest.net

This is a very small sample, but the results show the tendency of the 502 error occurring when speed tests are run at slower download speeds. I usually run speed tests when the download speeds seem slow, which could be why I notice the 502 error so often.

Hope this helps in solving this issue.

Hi lakeland4,

That's a great observation! Thank you for sharing that. Perhaps I made a mistake in numbering that list, I wanted to see if any of them resolved the 502 error. For example, after encountering the 502 error, does refreshing the page make it go away? If not, if you tried running the speed test in a different browser, does the 502 error persist there as well?

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

I know this isn’t rocket science but I want to make sure I have this right.  When I run the Speed Test and get the 502 error, every time I am to refresh the page and then run the test again?  If I encounter the 502 error again, every time I am to bring up another browser and re-run the Speed Test?  If the result is again the 502 error I am to continue to follow the steps listed in your previous post until the Speed Test result is correct or there are no more steps?  If so, I will make a few more runs and then get back to you.

I just realized how much you have credited our account.  Your generosity is very much appreciated.

You're welcome!

I'm wondering if performing anything on that list results in a successful run of our speed test, as opposed to getting the 502 error. So yes, you can follow the steps listed until you actually get the speed test result instead of the error. I'd like to know what works and what doesn't.

-Liz

Here are the results of the runs I have made in the order of Steps 1-6 when a 502 error occurs. Spread out over 12 days, there were 26 Speed Tests run during what you could call normal usage – email, web browsing, shopping, etc.  Of those, 7 resulted in 502 errors.  Step 1 was then run and was successful 4 times.  502 errors occurred the remaining 3 times with Step 2 successful after each one.  Steps 3-6 were not needed.

I am surprised that nearly 75% of the initial Speed Tests run during normal usage were successful.  It is not the 99% success rate that you would expect but it is much better than I have found in the past.

I will continue to use this step method of obtaining successful Speed Test runs for now and look forward to when the initial Speed Test run is always successful and this procedure is not required.

Hi lakeland4,

Thanks for your update! If it works for you most of the time that's great. As maratsade mentioned before, there's always testmy.net which is another option for speed tests.

-Liz