cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HughesNet Tier 4 support refused to help with unusual high latency problem

Junior

Re: HughesNet Tier 4 support refused to help with unusual high latency problem


@GabeU wrote:

@lighthope1 wrote:

So basically a command line ping which HughesNet says is most accurate, according to this, is most useless. And that TMN give a better "real world" look at the actual latency.


Actually, it's not, but there is no point in arguing with you if you're convinced.  

 

I can tell you, though, that relying on TMN's latency results aren't going to get you anywhere with HughesNet's reps or engineers concerning such.  


I'm just quoting people who know about this stuff.  I've provided enough information to show there is a problem.  If HughesNet wants to put their head in the sand and say there isn't a problem, that's on them.

Assistant Professor

Re: HughesNet Tier 4 support refused to help with unusual high latency problem

Think you're confusing using TestMy for speed vs using it latency.

 

Using it for speed has been the way to go in the past because it more or less normalized where the speed tests were going. For whatever reason their results haven't been as reliable as they have been, showing a lot of capture, hold, and release type corruption of the speeds.

 

Using it for latency (partially for the same reason) is not a good idea, because it will only show the overall latency of a path to them and not really pinpoint the precise location of the problem. That's why a locally run traceroute is best, because it can isolate problems with the route table, the gateway's provider, the server your're trying to reach, or any point in between.


* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Junior

Re: HughesNet Tier 4 support refused to help with unusual high latency problem


@MarkJFine wrote:

Think you're confusing using TestMy for speed vs using it latency.

 

Using it for speed has been the way to go in the past because it more or less normalized where the speed tests were going. For whatever reason their results haven't been as reliable as they have been, showing a lot of capture, hold, and release type corruption of the speeds.

 

Using it for latency (partially for the same reason) is not a good idea, because it will only show the overall latency of a path to them and not really pinpoint the precise location of the problem. That's why a locally run traceroute is best, because it can isolate problems with the route table, the gateway's provider, the server your're trying to reach, or any point in between.


I wasn't using it to find where the problem was, only to show that there was a problem.  Right now, HughesNet won't even acknowledge that there is a problem, because why admit when you can deny?  (Seems to be HughesNet's go-to-solution)

 

Finding where the problem is is far beyond my ability.

Professor

Re: HughesNet Tier 4 support refused to help with unusual high latency problem

Your latency (via ping) is right for satellite. 

 

I think what you're experiencing is a data clog, like you say.  The data clogs are happening somewhere else, not at HN.  They are a national issue having to do with CenturyLink  (@MarkJFine knows a lot about this topic). 

 

It is likely that until the government does something to address this issue with CenturyLink, we will just have to deal. 

 

I'm sure companies that receive service from CL are working to address the matter (which can be a lengthy process),  but they don't owe the customers any explanation about this. 

 

lighthope1 wrote:

I've tried a couple more sites.  Some just time out.

 

I also tried the command prompt ping test. That comes out at 600ms fairly consistently.

 

So now we have to ask the question: Why does a ping test come with low ping, but streaming data have such problems.

 

The only thing I can think of is what someone else brought up: There is some sort of data clog somewhere.

 

Sometimes doing a download test from testmy.net (the site Hughesnet tells us to use!), shows it hanging for a long them, then sending the data in a whoosh. Upload tests have upload speeds all over the place during the timeline.

 

That could be the problem.  Not latency, but a data clog.


 

Professor

Re: HughesNet Tier 4 support refused to help with unusual high latency problem

@GabeU was having issues accessing FB a while back.   It may all be related to CenturyLink's infrastructure problems. 

 

Gallifrey is so far away, this may be the reason it takes so long for the signal to reach it -- except for Time Lords, of course. 

 

 

lighthope1 wrote:

I don't know if this will be relevant, but this page

 

https://gallifreybase.com/gb/

 

Took 21 seconds to load.

 

This page

 

https://my.hughesnet.com

 

Took 23 seconds to load.

 

This page

 

https://www.facebook.com/

 

Timed out and failed to load.

 

 


 

Assistant Professor

Re: HughesNet Tier 4 support refused to help with unusual high latency problem


@lighthope1 wrote:

Finding where the problem is is far beyond my ability.


But using a sample path to only one place and calling it a problem everywhere without proof isn't going to be taken seriously.


* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Junior

Re: HughesNet Tier 4 support refused to help with unusual high latency problem


@maratsade wrote:

Your latency (via ping) is right for satellite. 

 

I think what you're experiencing is a data clog, like you say.  The data clogs are happening somewhere else, not at HN.  They are a national issue having to do with CenturyLink  (@MarkJFine knows a lot about this topic). 

 

It is likely that until the government does something to address this issue with CenturyLink, we will just have to deal. 

 

I'm sure companies that receive service from CL are working to address the matter (which can be a lengthy process),  but they don't owe the customers any explanation about this. 


I agree that it is a data clog.

 

I am not sure that government should be the go-to solution for this.

 

I disagree with your position that "they don't owe the customers any explanation about this."  That is not good business practice, especially when HughesNet is a vitual monopoly in certain areas.

 

Coming out and saying: "There is a problem.  This is what the problem is. This is what we are doing about the problem.  Here is where it is out of our hands and we are doing such and such about it" would go a very long way to keep customers from becoming upset.

 

Ignoring the problem, not acknolwledging the problem, and saying "that's just the way it is" puts very little credence into your belief that "I'm sure companies that receive service from CL are working to address the matter".  Why would HughesNet be working with CenturyLink when HughesNet doesn't believe there is a problem?  What would be the working on when there is no problem?

Junior

Re: HughesNet Tier 4 support refused to help with unusual high latency problem


@maratsade wrote:

Gallifrey is so far away, this may be the reason it takes so long for the signal to reach it -- except for Time Lords, of course. 

Ah, but they have time machines, so they can go back in time and send the message so it gets here the next instant.  Smiley Happy

Junior

Re: HughesNet Tier 4 support refused to help with unusual high latency problem


@MarkJFine wrote:

@lighthope1 wrote:

Finding where the problem is is far beyond my ability.


But using a sample path to only one place and calling it a problem everywhere without proof isn't going to be taken seriously.


I provided several examples of prolems.  If HughesNet ignores that, that is a them problem, not a me problem.

Professor

Re: HughesNet Tier 4 support refused to help with unusual high latency problem

EXACTLY!!

 

 


@lighthope1 wrote:
maratsade wrote:

Gallifrey is so far away, this may be the reason it takes so long for the signal to reach it -- except for Time Lords, of course. 

Ah, but they have time machines, so they can go back in time and send the message so it gets here the next instant.  Smiley Happy