cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hulu and YouTube doesn't work but Netflix does

Highlighted
New Poster

Hulu and YouTube doesn't work but Netflix does

First, I know I can use a testmy.net account, but my understanding is your device must be attached to LAN by cable and Wifi must be off. Given the location of my modem this isn’t an option, at least without buying a really long ethernet cable. My wifi speeds are fine per speedtest.net though (nowhere near the advertised 25Mbps) but they exceed the minimums required for the services.

Hulu and YouTube buffer constantly on HughesNet connection. I believe the problem is HughesNet, not the services. I also have a 1Mbps DLS connection and both services work better, as in not nearly as much buffering, on my 1Mbps DLS connection than HughesNet.

I’m currently testing at a little over 5Mbps on my HughesNet per speedtest.net. 5Mbps should be more than enough to play both Hulu and YouTube (at low resolution, mind you). I’m not playing these simultaneously. I’m using only one service and one device at a time.

I’ve had Netflix for several months and it works fine. It’s low quality, but it doesn’t buffer a lick. I’ve always had issues with YouTube. Even at 144p resolution, the videos buffer badly. I’ve never used it enough to complain, but I just signed up for Hulu and it’s even worse than YouTube. I pay for the Hulu ad free service, so now I’m complaining.

Depending on the weather, I usually get between 5Mbps and 10Mbps. Hulu says it only requires 3Mbps for HD but will work with a little as 1.5 at lower quality. I’m getting lower quality resolution, definitly not HD, so I don’t understand why it doesn’t work with HughesNet even at 5Mbps or more. It makes no sense to me that Netflix will play without a hitch, but both YouTube and Hulu buffer constantly even at low resolution, unless of course HughesNet throttles some services but not others.

I’ve cleared my browser cache; power cycled my modem. I’ve tried different browsers, I’ve downloaded the Hulu app for Win10 on two different devices, I’ve downloaded the apps on two different Firesticks. All have the same buffering issues, yet again, Netflix works fine on any device. Wifi speeds test at above 5Mbps or higher which exceeds the minimum requirements for the services. My Satelitte Receive Signal Strength is 95 and my system status is all green checks. What’s the deal?

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Hulu and YouTube doesn't work but Netflix does

@jimmyb82 

Chances are that the reason you're not able to stream properly is congestion.  Though 5Mbps should normally be enough for streaming, a 5Mbps speed on HughesNet suggests significant congestion.    

One thing you can try is turning off, or pausing, the Video Data Saver.  But, with the congestion you're likely seeing, this may not make much difference, if it makes any.  

Another thing you can try is power cycling your modem.  Though there's no guarantee that it will help, it can sometimes do so due to the modem connecting to a new beam channel when it starts back up.  To power cycle the modem, first turn off your device to ensure that you're connecting cleanly after the modem is back up, then unplug the modem at either the wall outlet or the power pack, but NOT at the back of the modem.  Wait at least 30 seconds, then plug the modem back in.  After waiting for five minutes, which gives the modem time to be fully back up and ready, turn your device back on and reconnect.  Then try your activities again.   

If none of this helps, it's likely that the reps will need some speed test results, but they'll need them to be run at testmy.net and while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with the WiFi disabled.  They need testmy.net results as it's the most accurate test with HughesNet and the only one they accept, and they need it done via LAN cable and with the WiFi disabled in order to bypass the WiFi, which could be part of the problem, and ensure that no devices are sapping bandwidth via WiFi during testing, respectively.  A LAN cable connection is solid and direct, so it eliminates any problem(s) that the WiFi itself could be causing. 

It's possible that they'll accept testmy.net tests run via WiFi, though in my experience it's unlikely.  They can tell you for sure when they reply.  @Liz @Damian @Amanda @Jay 

Lastly, if you don't already, it would be a good idea to leave your HughesNet modem plugged in so that the reps can run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment if they deem it necessary, which they likely will.  The reps are on M-F from approximately 9AM to 6PM EST, though Damian is often on in the evenings.  They normally reply within a day, though it can sometimes take a couple.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

@jimmyb82,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear you are experiencing this. After running diagnostics on your account, it appears your specific beam is currently being worked on and repaired by our service management, due to an outage that took place on the 13th. This can cause severe slowness and intermittent connectivity while being worked on. Once we get reports that the issue has been resolved, I will post here again and private message you details regarding the compensation that will be applied for the days of impaired service. I do apologize for the inconvenience. 

Also, the tips Gabe provided about our Video Data Saver should still be followed, as I believe this will improve the streaming capabilities. This improvement, of course, will be much more noticeable once the beam is fully repaired.  

-Damian 

Highlighted

@jimmyb82,

I apologize for the delay in response. It appears this issue was resolved about a week ago. I will be sending you a private message to go over your options in regards to compensation. Thank you for your patience and understanding. 

-Damian