cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am posting this for those who have slow internet speeds.

I am posting this for those who have slow internet speeds.

The last post showing my speeds at various times in the evenings were removed. I am sitting in the middle of a blizzard. I can't see my front yard it is so bad and yet my speeds are great. Tech support has told me that there are stoms in my area when I have had slow speeds before but that isn't the case. I am off from work today because it is so bad in my area. However a lot of people are at work in various other areas so the network isn't so overcrowded. HughesNet is simply overcrowded at this time. I have all new equipment once again. 4 technicians have been to my house and it is slow as can be in the evenings when everyone else is on the network. I pay 110.00 a month for 1 meg speeds. During the day when most people are working and I have off, I get 20 meg downloads.
23 REPLIES
Tutor

Re: I am posting this for those who have slow internet speeds.

Falling snow doesn't affect the signal as much as actual rain or ice does.
Personal Machine: ECS B85H3-M | Intel i5 4460 | 16GB DDR3-1333 | eVGA 750Ti | Samsung 830 120GB
Server: ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 | AMD FX8350 | 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC | Intel Quad Gigabit NIC | 3Ware 9650SE-12ML + BBU | 650w OCZ ZS PSU | eVGA LP 710 | 10x WD RE 4TB disks in Raid10
Senior

Resatek, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, but I think that it is that you have slow speeds not because of weather but because of overcrowding.  Is this so?

Hi resatek,

Congrats on the great speeds in the middle of a blizzard! So it sounds like you're just experiencing slow speeds at night?

Can you please post your testmy.net results URL here so we can evaluate your system performance? It may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]

If you don't have a testmy.net account, please follow the guide here to get started: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

It would be great if we can some current test results, so since you're reporting slow speeds in the evening, please run a minimum of 3 speed tests in the evening.

Most important points:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem
-use the 12MB test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL: http://testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Senior

The last post wasn't removed, just closed  after two weeks due to no reply with the information asked for.  

If you would like help, I suggest running the above speed tests that Liz again asked for and posting the results to receive that assistance.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

That is because after I created the account with "Testmy.net" and ran numerous tests, it always labeled them as tests under different identifiers instead of my username. I eventually gave up with that site. I have spoken with an Engineer twice on the phone 2 weeks ago and he said to not use "TestMy.net" anyway. He said to use HughesNet speed test so after three or 4 tries tonight I got the page to finally load and sent them to Liz.

That's exactly correct. During the regular work day hours of 9-5, if I stay home, my speeds are great. When I get home from a regular work day in the evening after 5PM, the speeds are terrible. That is because everyone else is doing the same thing. Hughesnet tech support has told me many times that they see storms in my area when I have called them in the evening and that is why the speeds are slow but I am sitting in the middle of a blizzard today because I stayed home from work and the speeds are 22 to 24 meg which is awesome. I know that they are simply overcrowded and that is what 3 of the 4 techs have told me when they have been to my home.

Uh yes it does.

Snow and Ice

Snow may also attenuate satellite Internet services to such a degree that service gets disrupted. It can pile up on a dish and completely block the signal. Condensation can accumulate on a dish and form ice that blocks that signal even in clear weather. Some dish manufacturers offer heated dishes to melt snow and ice to prolong system service. They operate on a thermostat control to turn on electric heating elements when the temperature drops below a certain level.

There you go. Same blizzard conditions as today. Only difference is that it is after 5PM and the majority of people are home from work I would assume. During the day the speeds are better. All the components have been replaced on my satellite twice and nothing has helped. This has been happening since September of 2016 and no one has been able to correct it. The last engineer that called 2 weeks ago said that I had to wait until the new satellite was in place to get better speeds. I was with Wildblue for 8 years and never had any of these issues until the last month before I switched to Hughesnet. Their problem was overcrowding.