Hughesnet Community

I am trying to find a router that streams videos better and works with my Hughesnet HT1100 modem.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bmooreu
New Poster

I am trying to find a router that streams videos better and works with my Hughesnet HT1100 modem.

I am trying to find a router that streams videos better and works with my Hughesnet HT1100 modem. I want the best. Can you please help me? I have narrowed it down to Netgear because I believe their IP address defaults to something other than my modem. The models I am looking at are the Netgear WND4500, R6300 and R7000. Please tell me out of these three, which is the very best for streaming. Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10
Gokartergo

R7000,  Nighthawks are great.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Most router will work with your Hughes system. It may be necessary on some to change the routers LAN IP to avoid a IP conflict with the Hughes modem. This is easily done.

The Hughes modem requires the exclusive use of 192.168.0.1

The suggested LAN IP address setting for a router connected to a Hughes system is 192.168.1.1

There are other aspects to consider when streaming on a data capped service ...

"Fuel" in the form of data is   .... limited on a capped service and streaming video is a very data intensive activity. This assume of course that you are streaming from the Internet and not just LAN side activity ... from a "local" network server to another device on the LAN side of your Network.

Additionally when doing a modem upgrade it may pay to choose one that tracks data usage by device IP.

I recently replaced my old Netgear with a Asus RT-AC3100 and have been pleased with the results.

You may wish to read a topic I posted:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/birddog-wish-me-luck

bmooreu
New Poster

Thanks for the responses.  Another issue that may muddy the water is that I have Windows 10. Does anyone know how that might affect my router purchase?
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Nothing to do with the router but 10 doesn't give the user near the amount of control over background data use that previous versions did. Lots of things have to be done to get it under control so data doesn't mysteriously disappear. 

PS: A router that has 5 GHz band is much better for streaming over the local network. HughesNet is not a factor when it comes to that other than you need the basic speed needed for the definition. Definition should be SD or lower or else you will eat through data allowance in a hurry.
bmooreu
New Poster

I am so lost on this subject.  I've been researching but only getting more confused.  I believe I've decided on the NetGear R7000 Nighthawk (because of download/streaming  features and VPN support).  BTW, it is the NetGear Genie App that someone has said is not compatible with Win 10. Sorry for any confusion.  When I make this purchase because I am so lost, are the install instructions comprehensive enough to guide me thru all of the things that need to be checked. I've seen comments where I should do a manual install and not just go for Plug and Play.  UGGH!  It looks like this now includes background data control settings. Perhaps I should have a professional do this for me?.  I've perhaps returned a perfectly good router already because I could not get it to work with my Smart TV - Netflix and Amazon didn't like new router. I thought it was HughesNet modem related. I like to think that I'm smart enough to figure it out, but this is a world full of options and needs knowledge that I don't have.
bmooreu
New Poster

Birddog just now seeing your PS.  Thanks for that information.  Is the picture degraded in SD?  I'm pretty sure that is the only way Amazon will give me a stream.  Very fuzzy picture.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

VPN is not going to work very well if at all with a Hughes connection.

Connecting your Smart TV and the use of Netfix is not really recommended as it will eat your data allowance at an alarming rate.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Picture looks fine to me at even low definition with Netflix. And I have found over time my Smart TV does not use huge amounts of data anymore than my computer does streaming video. Just be sure to turn automatic firmware updates off.

Again, be sure to set Netflix account to SD or better yet low definition. The TV will stream at the definition you have your account set to. At least my experience.

An hour of Netflix will use about 300 MB when set to low definition. So as with everything on satellite, up to you how you want to use your data.
Amanda

I have an R7000 - the thing is great, but not without its issues. There have been several firmware updates for it, so expect that if getting one.

The Champion/Customer C0RR0SIVE also owns one and may be able to give you some real solid feedback on how it works for him. Hopefully he finds his way here. I know we have both had the same issue of dropping connection on devices, but I have since fixed that problem myself.

Amanda
Way

I have win 10 ver 1607 build 14393.357 and the R7000 and the NetGear Genie App  is compatible with this ver of Win 10.