Hughesnet Community

I have a question about my data.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dgjlovette

I have a question about my data.

I have a question about my data. My refill date was today. Is there a way to find out what is using data, my data is now at 20 percent and I have not been on today. I would like to know what is using it. that was alot of usage. Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Amanda

Hello dgjlovette,

We're sorry but we currently don't have a tool or meter that can measure usage by your device or app. There is Glasswire which is free and used by many of our customers, as well as other programs that our community members can recommend. They can be used to constantly track how much data is used by programs on your computer and have been really helpful in our community for troubleshooting.

Thanks
Amanda
williamtobler

Looks like Glasswire is "free to try", but $50 to buy.
Old Labs

The downloaded version is free - the paid versions add additional features:

https://www.glasswire.com/buy/

Those features are then unlocked when you opt for one.
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Yes, I've had the free version installed for years. So far, that version has been all I've needed.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

dgjlovette,

I too have been using the free version of Glasswire and it serves my needs.

Glasswire will only record the usage on the single computer that it is installed on. You can install it on more than one computer and correlate the information.

So much depends on the type of network you are running. Having a router at the heart of you network multiplies the number of "connection paths".

Here is a repost that may help you understand your network better and it includes some info on the setup of Glasswire:

Lets look at a basic home network:

The above example has GlassWire installed on one of the wired computers and it will measure all of the data used by that computer but we also have to consider all of the other connection avenues that having a Router connected allows

Also to be most effective GlassWire needs to be set up to exclude "local traffic" but more on that later.

We need to take a closer look at the router itself:

The above block diagram shows THREE  potential avenues of use:

A router consists of three potential traffic areas:

#1: Its firmware/hardware:

This would include automatic update checks, Remote Access accounts/vulnerabilities, WPS settings/vulnerabilities and "front end" username/password setup to name a few.

#2: Wired LAN connections and the types of devices connected as well as their settings. Specifically end users not understanding the differences between "hard off", "sleep" and "hibernate" as well as other system settings such as Wake On LAN, Wake On Ring and even extending to "scheduled tasks".

We need not even go into the details of forced updates and data "sharing" inherent to Win10 and being back ported to Win7/8/8.1

#3: We come to the most difficult to control ... Wireless activity

We can start with what encryption level, if any, has been set up. We also need to consider the username and password that limits access to the routers front end so that unauthorized users can add themselves to the wireless users list. It needs to be changed from the default values.

We also have the multitude of settings of the many types of devices that can connect wirelessly be they computers, notebooks, tablets, cell phones or even thermostats.

It is often not apparent when all apps on all devices have had their update ability turned off. Very frequently an update will cause other settings to change to their default values.

Considering the number of "connection avenues" provided by a router it is mandatory that it be excluded during initial troubleshooting steps.

During the troubleshooting phase the "network" MUST be reduced to the minimum number of variables.

It needs to have the router removed from the equation so as to look like this:

The number of variables has been brought down to a manageable level.

It now is time to download and install some software to track usage and identify what program and what process is or has been running and using data.

For this we need Glasswire:

https://www.glasswire.com/ help/

An important point here .....

GlassWire will only monitor the single computer upon which it is installed.

Later as the router is reintroduced, GlassWire will have to be installed on every Windows computer that is connected to the router

Another point to be made here is that if Windows IS the root of the issue ... it uploads/downloads sporadically .. it may take time to "catch it in the act".

So as to not "torque" the amount of usage displayed by GlassWire we need to change a couple of settings ... we don't need to count (later on when more devices are connected) "local" traffic.

Here are my suggested settings:

(click on picture for larger image)

Understanding the results:

Each computer, one by one needs to go through this process.

Once all wired computers have been "cleared" we can add the router back in to the mix with one major exception .... we have to disable the "radio" ...

We then want to test the "network" consisting of all "cleared" wired devices and the router "guts" to ensure they work well together as a whole.

Now comes the sticky part the re-introduction of the routers wireless function.

Its tough because I know of no software that will load on the variety of devices that CAN connect ... cell phone, tablet and so forth.

On laptop computers you can of course load GlassWire but that still leaves many potential avenues open.

The "Poor Mans" method requires great discipline. ALL devices other than a single one have to be and remain in a "hard off" state and that is not easy to do.

Run that single device over time and monitor usage carefully while still running Glasswire and the "difference" is ... the amount used by THAT device.

Of the devices ... Apple stuff is probably the worst ... VERY large updates on a random basis and the updates are very prone to "break" during download causing them to restart from the beginning ... massive data loss there.

It is essential that the router be properly set up !

Guest access MUST be disabled in the routers internal GUI

No "open network" :  

WPA-PSK [TKIP] encryption at the very minimum !

Clear all devices one by one with the understanding that the usage may be sporadic.

There are higher end routers that WILL track usage by individual device but these may be out of reach (about $200) for the casual user. That is the only way to be SURE of what is going through a network.

There are a number of Routers available that with the inclusion of third party firmware will allow a user to track usage by device within the Routers interface.

That would include these Asus Routers:

dgjlovette

Thanks everyone. My data replenished on the 10th, within a hour or two my data was down to 20 percent. I have done overnight test on modem and was told it was not hughes net modem. I have downloaded glasswire on my laptop. My modem and wifi router are hooked to my desktop, which is very old and is running windows xp. I will try to install glasswire on desktop. I am not computer literate and don"t really understand all of this. If I have enough data I will install glasswire on desktop. Do I disconnect  wifi router from computer completely?
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Running XP means all bets are off. Could be all kinds of nasty things on computer and with the core OS itself. Microsoft stopped publishing any updates, including security, two and half years ago.