I have a question in regards to speed when my data is used up

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coreyellis1
Freshman

I have a question in regards to speed when my data is used up

I have a question in regards to my internet speeds. I want to know with me being a GEN 4 customer i know my internet is unlimited according to the Fair Access Policy. I do currently have a plan that has smart browsing. I see that my service will be reduced when all my data is gone. But I am wondering how slow are the speeds roughly when the data is used up. I have DIRECTV and I love the on demand movies that you can download. About how long would it take for just say 1 GB of data to download. I have not been able to find anything in regards to how slow are the internet speeds under smart browsing when downloading something. Any information will be greatly appreciated. 
6 REPLIES 6
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

I want to know with me being a GEN 4 customer i know my internet is unlimited according to the Fair Access Policy.
Not "unlimited." You have a monthly limit.
I am wondering how slow are the speeds roughly when the data is used up.
About double the speed of a dial-up connection, or around 100 Kbps.
About how long would it take for just say 1 GB of data to download.
At full-speed, about 30 minutes to 1 hour. At dial-up, well, it will take a while. Hopefully, Steve "BirdDog" will chime in here. I could not find the link to a data download calculator he posted here recently.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Oh, found it: http://www.download-time.com/

At 100 Kbps, looks like 1 GB will take just 262 hours 🙂
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I got 23 hours 51 minutes and 39 seconds:

El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Hey, even better 🙂
Amanda

Hi

Interesting tool! 

Since its considered a "large download" things like streaming video, downloading large files, etc will actually negate SmartBrowsing and cause you to run at speeds up to 150kbps. General web browsing (non secure sites) is what will benefit most from SmartBrowsing - good if you are into the news and things like that.

Amanda
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

That is "up to" 150 kbps like Amanda says. I'd expect an average of around 100-125 kbps if trying to download something large while throttled.