cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm moving on..

Highlighted
Sophomore

I'm moving on..

Well, I've gone and done it.  I cancelled my Hughesnet service effective 8/30/2020.  Although I haven't posted often, when I did post my questions were answered by fellow users or moderators.  Thank you all for your help

Hughesnet service has generally met my needs for web browsing, online shopping and email service.  I have never been able to stream videos with any consistent success.  But, I "conditioned my expectations" to limit my disappointment about the streaming capability of Hughesnet.

I'm hoping I avoid the "equipment return" nightmare that others have experienced who posted here previously.  Any suggestions on the best way to handle things if I don't receive the equipment return box within the 7-10 day window beginning 8/30/2020?

Thanks again for your help.

Ed V.

Location: Placerville, CA|Gen5 Beam:55|Gateway:GIL|Router:ASUS AC68U
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

Re: I'm moving on..

Good luck to you, and I hope your next ISP is able to meet your expectations. As for the box, I'd try calling or chatting. 

EdV wrote:

Well, I've gone and done it.  I cancelled my Hughesnet service effective 8/30/2020.  Although I haven't posted often, when I did post my questions were answered by fellow users or moderators.  Thank you all for your help

Hughesnet service has generally met my needs for web browsing, online shopping and email service.  I have never been able to stream videos with any consistent success.  But, I "conditioned my expectations" to limit my disappointment about the streaming capability of Hughesnet.

I'm hoping I avoid the "equipment return" nightmare that others have experienced who posted here previously.  Any suggestions on the best way to handle things if I don't receive the equipment return box within the 7-10 day window beginning 8/30/2020?

Thanks again for your help.

Ed V.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

@EdV 

Good luck to you.  I hope that you new ISP meets your needs.  

On a side note, just in case, though it's not streaming in the normal way, you may want to look into PlayOn Cloud if you have any trouble with streaming in the future.  I've been using it for about a year now in order to get around any buffering issues, and it's worked very well.  Basically, PlayOn streams the item for you, then converts it to an MP4, which you then download, either manually, automatically or by scheduling.  The MP4 never expires, and there's no buffering.  You can then watch that MP4 on any capable device, and most devices these days, including Smart TVs, can play them.  I watch them on mine from a USB SSD.  The service is free, though you buy recording credits, with each credit being good for a title, whether that title's a 1/2 hour TV show or a 4 hour movie.  They have credit sales occasionally, and credits can range from 10 to 25 cents each.  It's just a thought.

Again, good luck.  Smiley Happy 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Sophomore

Thanks for the best wishes and sugggestions. 

With my new ISP, hopefully (with fingers crossed), I will not need to use any 3rd party tools to facilitate streaming. Time will tell.  So
far, I've streamed 2 seasons of Star Trek Discovery and one season of Picard with no problems.

Thanks again

Ed V
Location: Placerville, CA|Gen5 Beam:55|Gateway:GIL|Router:ASUS AC68U
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

Happy ending! Always good to hear. 

With my new ISP, hopefully (with fingers crossed), I will not need to use any 3rd party tools to facilitate streaming. Time will tell.  So
far, I've streamed 2 seasons of Star Trek Discovery and one season of Picard with no problems.

Thanks again

Ed V