HughesNet Community

I upgraded to gen 5 several years ago . The tec installed it said it would carry my family of 5 I ha

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Abbiebirch62
New Poster

I upgraded to gen 5 several years ago . The tec installed it said it would carry my family of 5 I ha

I upgraded to gen 5 several years ago . The tec installed it said it would carry my family of 5 I had to upgrade to 50 GB . ( no it don't I run out of data) so my 16 year old does her homework when bonus time kicks in not fair)It's all of my kids is doing work from home for school also speed test I got emails 80% slow Wow I pay good $ for this .Thinking about canceling. I go to my desktop tech-had unhooked it and did not hook it back up when he installed gen-5( now I'm not really happy at all) my desktop needs to update most of my apps. 3rd problem my internet is so weak it will not pick up 60 feet( now with all the kids doing their school work we really had a problem) I do not know nothing about internet I don't fix internet with do not know anything about it . IT'S A FRIGGIN MESS. And do not say virus . Because I had these problemS before virus I Have called to only be put on hold for 25 min ..somebody please help me
3 REPLIES 3
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

• Hopefully the mods on this site will run remote diagnostics on your modem and see if there are issues that may make your signal "weak." 
  • If you have the 50GB data package, and 5 people in the household are using the Internet, especially for high data usage things like streaming, you would run out of data very quickly. 
  • To make 50GB last 30 days, you can't use more than 1.66 GB a day.  This means that each family member can't use more than about 330MB per day.  That's not a lot, and if anyone uses more than that, the data will be gone  within a few days.

Abbiebirch62 wrote:
I upgraded to gen 5 several years ago . The tec installed it said it would carry my family of 5 I had to upgrade to 50 GB . ( no it don't I run out of data) so my 16 year old does her homework when bonus time kicks in not fair)It's all of my kids is doing work from home for school also speed test I got emails 80% slow Wow I pay good $ for this .Thinking about canceling. I go to my desktop tech-had unhooked it and did not hook it back up when he installed gen-5( now I'm not really happy at all) my desktop needs to update most of my apps. 3rd problem my internet is so weak it will not pick up 60 feet( now with all the kids doing their school work we really had a problem) I do not know nothing about internet I don't fix internet with do not know anything about it . IT'S A FRIGGIN MESS. And do not say virus . Because I had these problemS before virus I Have called to only be put on hold for 25 min ..somebody please help me

Liz

Hi Abbie,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! I pulled up your account and ran diagnostics on your site; everything looks good and in working order with plenty of data left. The 4 devices I see currently connected also have good connections to the network.

For your kids doing online schooling, you may want to check this out for tips: https://www.hninfo.us/worktips

Then here are general tips on making the most of your HughesNet service:

http://support.hughesnet.com/en/faq/internet/get-the-most-of-hughesnet-service

I hope that helps!

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Abbiebirch62 

Regarding your desktop computer, you should be able to connect it to the HT2000W modem with a LAN cable.  If the desktop is not right near the HT2000W modem and it doesn't have WiFi capabilities, you can either move the desktop closer to the HT2000W modem or buy a WiFi card for the desktop so you can connect it via WiFi.

If your WiFi signal is dropping out when you get 60ft or more away from the HughesNet modem and the devices being this far or farther away from the modem is normal, the two options you have for a stronger WiFi signal are either getting the HughesNet WiFi Booster or using a 3rd party WiFi router with better WiFi range. 

The HughesNet WiFi Booster extends the WiFi signal in one general direction, so if you only need to extend it this way the booster might be the way to go.  However, if you need to extend your WiFi in all general directions, the better way to go would be the 3rd party WiFi router.  You can use pretty much any 3rd party WiFi router with HughesNet.  And by 3rd party I mean "other than HughesNet".  Like ASUS, Netgear, TP-Link, etc.  Whatever brand you prefer.  You still have to use the HT2000W modem, but you'd connect the WiFi router to the modem and disable the WiFi in the modem so as to not interfere with the WiFi from the 3rd party router.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro