Hughesnet Community

I've been managing my own finances for almost 2 decades and this is BY FAR the worst service provider I have encountered.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dick Molsbee

I've been managing my own finances for almost 2 decades and this is BY FAR the worst service provider I have encountered.

HughesNet customer service will not fix your problems, just remind you that your under contract and tell you when the contract expires. I was asked to purchase a DSL line, download new version of Windows ($79), and get a voltmeter device so I could see if the issue was 100% in their equipment. I spent a total of 7:18 on the phone during 5 different calls on the same issue and was given the run-around each time the entire remaining 7 months of my contract. They apologized, but never offered to send someone to replace their faulty equipment. I paid $89/month for more than a half year for a blinking box in my utility room, no internet at all. They often reminded me that they were the only wireless internet provider in my area, emphasizing that Dish network contracts their services for internet. I was never refunded for my purchases, one month my bill was actually about $25 lower after numerous complaints.

8 REPLIES 8
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

You were asked to purchase a DSL line?  Hughesnet requested that you purchase a competitor's service?  When you say DSL line, are you talking about a cable of some sort?  Ethernet?  Coaxial? 

DSL is a type of internet service. 

Hughesnet themselves requested that you purchase a voltmeter to test their equipment? 

Amanda

Hello Dick Molsbee

We're very sorry to hear about your experience with our service and support, but are glad you've reached out to us here in the community. We would like to investigate your concerns, account and run diagnostics on your equipment. Do you have a recent case number or the serial number from your modem? This will allow me to locate your account and begin looking into this. Looking forward to your reply.

Thank you
Amanda
Dick Molsbee

My narrative obviously reveals that I am not into technical jargon nor are my skills with computers as advanced as what a younger generation would consider common knowledge. I apologize for the confusion and perhaps it may explain my needs for good customer service. When I mentioned DSL line I was referring to the type of cord used to connect computers to DSL or high speed internet connections. It would be Ethernet because a coaxial from my understanding is the alternate option for basic cable when RCA or HDMI isn't used. I was requested to purchase all the items mentioned to test their equipment (my view). They told me that I needed to go through a detailed troubleshooting sequence to assure that my equipment was working correctly (cables, wireless devices, personal computer), even though their data was showing that the router was pinged and no response was returning. <--I'm not sure if that is the correct wording but its the best I recall. I travel for work and may be home once or twice a month, so I was told that the problem could not be identified without me at home to troubleshoot the equipment. My wife is often home, but is less computer savvy than I am and does not possess the patience to hold a modest composure while going through the lengthy troubleshooting process. Customer service personnel on more than one occasion basically told me that my wife was ignorant because she didn't know the terminology commonly used for wireless internet (router, modem, etc.), learning this terminology is not our priority, that's what we expect our service providers to know when we accept the terms of payment on the contract. We just wanted the issue resolved.

Dick Molsbee

I'm not sure where my case numbers are for the many times we contacted Hughesnet. During our quest for customer service I would refer to a case number and was told that because of the duration of time that had lapsed since the case was opened that it was assumed corrected and automatically closed. I work away from home and may only get one or two days to be home monthly. When I would call and start again with HughesNet they were often able to bring up all the 'resolved' files and verify that the problem has been ongoing. I really do not want to commit anymore of my time locating these case numbers, I have honored my word on the contract with the exception of mailing back the defective equipment, which I have actually requested time off work to travel home, box up, and return any HughesNet related items. I truly abhor this company.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

You only need to post a single one ... past or present ... as an aid for the Corporate Level Mods here in the forum to ID your account.

If you don't have one, the post the serial number from the STICKER on the bottom or rear of your modem.

Please don't post your SAN which normally starts with DSSxxxxxxx

It only takes one of the old case numbers to allow the Mods to find and access your account details.

Dick Molsbee

OK. Like I previously stated I am often not home. My wife and son are traveling with me while I work now that he is out of school so nobody is home to get the serial number. I have cleared out my emails from hughesnet so I cant look back for the numbers. I should be home Sunday morning and will get the serial number of the modem before I pack up and return equipment.
Amanda

Hi Dick Molsbee, 

No worry, I managed to find your account!  That is really nice that your family travels with you when you work. I will be able to look at data usage, troubleshooting notes and any contact to our support you may have had in those months you had issues. I appreciate your patience

Thanks
Amanda
Amanda

Hi Dick Molsbee

I am very sorry for the late reply. I wanted to let you know that your case has gone to our upper management and is currently being reviewed. All calls, case notes, etc will be listened to and reviewed if they are available. I will let you know as soon as possible what the results are and what our next steps to resolve this will be. Thank you again

Amanda