cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impossible to view any video, buffering never stops.

Sophomore

Impossible to view any video, buffering never stops.

28 REPLIES 28
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Impossible to view any video, buffering never stops.

@Cegreen 

1.  Have you checked to make sure you aren't out of data?  You can do so via the HughesNet Usage Meter, the Usage tab under My Account at the top of this support community page, or here.  If you are out of data, your speed will be throttled.   

2.  If using a WiFi connected device, does it make any difference when trying with a LAN cable connected device? 

3.  What speed are you seeing when you go to testmy.net and run a manual download test using the 25MB test size?  If you can, please post the test result URL or a picture of the result.   

3.  If streaming in HD, make sure to either turn off, or snooze, the Video Data Saver, or you'll see a lot of buffering.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sophomore

I get it. I have verified multiple times during multiple calls and complaints to tech support  - I am not out of data, not using WiFi - (of course it would be even worse), always connected by LAN, and DataSaver is always off. Buffering occurs even at the lowest video playback quality setting. Download test of a 25 MB file is 45.8 Mbps at testmy.net. File download speed has not been an issue....only video playback. I previously had a 22 Mbps dsl connection and seldom saw any buffering at all during video playback, so I doubt it is my hardware.

https://testmy.net/db/6Xq33mhCh

Intel Core i7-4790K cpu @ 4.00GHZ

ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2

16 GB Kingston DDR3 1600 Memory

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SATA III SSD

NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 graphics

Assistant Professor

Curious what operating system you have and what browser you are using? Wondering if people who are having this problem have anything in common when it comes to the configuration on their end.

Do you have any other device you can try streaming with?

Sophomore

I experience the same issue with the latest versions of Firefox and Internet Explorer on Windows 10 and when using the current version of Firefox running the current version of Linux Mint.  I can stream video with little or no buffering on my Samsung Galaxy S8+ using Firefox on my AT&T wireless connection. 

When I try to stream video using Hughesnet WiFi and my phone I experience the buffering again.  So, the issue seems to be directly related to my Hughesnet satellite service.

From your comment, it sounds as though other users are experiencing the same issue.  I didn't have this issue before I began using Hughesnet.

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Does it buffer even at lowest definition possible like 240p?

What is result when you run this test? http://192.168.0.1/#!/home/connectivity

Sophomore

Yes, it buffers at the lowest definition possible too.

Screenshot from 2019-02-21 18-14-18.png

@Cegreen 

Out of curiosity, how does your upload speed look?  If you can, please run an upload test on the same site (testmy), but using the 4MB upload test size.  Your download speed, at least at that time, looks great, and shows virtually no signs of congestion.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sophomore

Screenshot from 2019-02-21 23-53-12.png

@Cegreen 

Well, both your download and upload speeds seem to be fine, and you're directly connected with a LAN cable, so it's not any of those things.  That test you ran also indicates that your connection is good, so it's not that, either, or at least it doesn't appear to be. 

Hopefully BirdDog or others will have some further ideas.  A rep will most likely ask some questions to try to figure out what's going on, as well.  

Regarding what BirdDog mentioned, there does seem to be an issue with videos for some people, even when they're having good speeds and a good connection, like you, and even when they try lower definitions on sites like Youtube.  It doesn't make any sense.  There's got to be some type of common denominator somewhere that's causing, or at least contributing to, this problem.  I wish I knew what it was.