cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inactive devices use bandwidth on the satellite link?

Inactive devices use bandwidth on the satellite link?

In my ongong saga related to poor performance during peak hours, I called in again Friday evening to speak with a tech.  She said the issue is I have 12 wireless devices connected; I replied that none of the devices were active at the time of my test and I also asked why the number of devices was only a problem during peak hours.

The tech said that even if a device is inactive, the satellite link bandwidth is still divided among all the connected devices.  She could not explain why it only happens during peak hours.

Now I am new to satellite internet, but this can NOT be the way this works, right?  If only one device is active then it can use all of the bandwidth (less control packets and other overhead), right?

BTW, I disabled wireless on the router and the results over 24 hours still show a significant drop in speed during peak hours, so I am convinced the tech was wrong, but thought I'd ask in case just in case I am missing something.

3 REPLIES 3
Associate Professor

Re: Inactive devices use bandwidth on the satellite link?

A good many of the beams are having slowdowns during peak hours due to an elusive technical glitch. The engineers are doing incremental changes in order to isolate the problem. This is massive in scope and will take a bit of time.

Some people have had good success by performing a hard reboot of the modem by unplugging it from the wall, waiting a minute and plugging it back in (don't use the DIN plug at the rear of the modem as it's not designed for things like this). This should re-associate you to a different IPGW, which may be unaffected, thus alleviating some of the speed issues.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Thanks for the reply. 

I did a hard reboot of the router this weekend and my perception is performance improved slightly, but wasn't sure if that was a coincidence or not.  Should I only reboot the router if performance is poor or should I proactively do a hard reboot once a week or so?

Associate Professor

My impression is that the software is supposed to detect performance issues and re-associate automatically. That might not be working as expected. So, I would recommend rebooting as needed, as long as it works.

Keep in mind there seems to be some iffy IPGWs (may be different on different beams). If you hit one that's bad, you may have to burp it again.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.