This download is taking FOREVER. After about eight hours yesterday I finally quit. Today, after about five and half hours, it's at 10%. I tried to manually download it from the Microsoft Update Catalog, and was downloading at a top speed of 3.4KBps, and that's in between the times it would stop downloading altogether.
This isn't a Hughesnet speed problem, as my speed is just fine. This appears to be a problem only with downloading from Microsoft.
My Windows 10 updates often take a while, but not anything like this. It's ridiculous.
I'm going to update my laptop and see if it's any different.
Funny you should bring this up now Gabe. I've been watching these silly W10 computers and just did an experiment to get a handle on what they would suck down in bandwidth with updates.
Both are set to metered, both have been regularly autochecking for updates and neither has found any it wanted since 10/22 and 10/29. Tuesday I forced a manual check on both (and as you suggested last month) both found updates they wanted. They decided they wanted a different version of the big cumulative windows update (one wanted 3201845 while the other wanted 3206632). This one also wanted an extra windows security update. Both wanted the malicious removal tool and the flash security fix. I ran the download cycle on both and both said they downloaded all the updates.
The pre-download info indicated the total would be 950-something MB each with one computer taking 3 updates while the other wanted 4. Both failed to install any updates and neither downloaded a thing per Hughes even though Glasswire and other programs I use said they both downloaded a ton. Never happened. I used zip for download bytes.
Yesterday I took one off metered connection and checked for updates again. It still wanted the slightly different major update while running a recheck on the other caused it to change it's mind but not until I took it off metered later on.
The first one did the update and completed everything in an hour or so and I did the manual restart when it was ready. Then I started update on the 2nd computer which stalled for hours at 95%. It resumed and completed quickly when I took it off metered. Funny it didn't work on metered even though it was feeding off the first computer.
Bottom line result of my experiment is my total internet download usage for the 6 hour period yesterday when all parts and pieces of the project were in motion was 316.61 MB (per Hughes). I had three computers working the entire time on various projects additional to the windoze updates.
Glasswire figured up over 5 GB of download usage for the two updated computers for both days the ratkilling was going on.