Hughesnet Community

Is anyone else having a problem with downloading the Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3206632)?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Is anyone else having a problem with downloading the Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3206632)?

This download is taking FOREVER.  After about eight hours yesterday I finally quit.  Today, after about five and half hours, it's at 10%.  I tried to manually download it from the Microsoft Update Catalog, and was downloading at a top speed of 3.4KBps, and that's in between the times it would stop downloading altogether.   

This isn't a Hughesnet speed problem, as my speed is just fine.  This appears to be a problem only with downloading from Microsoft. 

My Windows 10 updates often take a while, but not anything like this.  It's ridiculous.

I'm going to update my laptop and see if it's any different.   

39 REPLIES 39
maratsade

I don't think I've seen this yet.  Can we cancel a download if it's taking too long? (I don't remember). ETA: how did it go with the laptop?
GabeU

I think the only thing one can do is to shut the computer down, then start it back up again (not a restart) to start it downloading again.  I've tried this, but it's still taking forever. 

As for the laptop, I just started, and it's searching for updates as of right now.  It's got the same version of Windows on it, so it should find it and try to download it.  I will post once I find out what happens with it.  

I forgot to add that you can stop an update during it's download phase by stopping the Windows update service in the component services menu. 
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Strangely, KB3206632 is meant to fix a network connectivity issue where internet access on a Win10 machine wont work...

You may wanna read through this...  I haven't had a chance to get the file yet as my WSUS machine is STILL downloading it, which is kinda funny.  Can't download an update to fix network connectivity issues, yay?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/5i57fr/december_windows_10_cumulative_updates_kb3206632/
GabeU

It looks like this update is causing problems for a lot of people.  And no doubt that it's funny that an update that is supposed to fix network connectivity is having all sorts of problems downloading.  

Further, I decided to try the Windows Update reset, but that made matters even worse.  To put it kindly, I'm glad that I save a system image every month or so.  I had to go off of one that I saved on 10/3, but at least I had it.  I forgot to save one last month.  So, now I have to download the updates that were released since 10/3.  Thus far, it won't even connect.  

After several tries with the laptop and running into connection problems (connection with Windows servers only, not in general), and now running into the same on the desktop just restored with the 10/3 image, I am pretty much giving up on the updates for tonight for either machine.  Perhaps whatever is causing the problem will be fixed by Microsoft by tomorrow.  
GW
Advanced Tutor

Funny you should bring this up now Gabe. I've been watching these silly W10 computers and just did an experiment to get a handle on what they would suck down in bandwidth with updates.

Both are set to metered, both have been regularly autochecking for updates and neither has found any it wanted since 10/22 and 10/29. Tuesday I forced a manual check on both (and as you suggested last month) both found updates they wanted. They decided they wanted a different version of the big cumulative windows update (one wanted 3201845 while the other wanted 3206632). This one also wanted an extra windows security update. Both wanted the malicious removal tool and the flash security fix. I ran the download cycle on both and both said they downloaded all the updates.

The pre-download info indicated the total would be 950-something MB each with one computer taking 3 updates while the other wanted 4. Both failed to install any updates and neither downloaded a thing per Hughes even though Glasswire and other programs I use said they both downloaded a ton. Never happened. I used zip for download bytes.

Yesterday I took one off metered connection and checked for updates again. It still wanted the slightly different major update while running a recheck on the other caused it to change it's mind but not until I took it off metered later on.

The first one did the update and completed everything in an hour or so and I did the manual restart when it was ready. Then I started update on the 2nd computer which stalled for hours at 95%. It resumed and completed quickly when I took it off metered. Funny it didn't work on metered even though it was feeding off the first computer.

Bottom line result of my experiment is my total internet download usage for the 6 hour period yesterday when all parts and pieces of the project were in motion was 316.61 MB (per Hughes). I had three computers working the entire time on various projects additional to the windoze updates.

Glasswire figured up over 5 GB of download usage for the two updated computers for both days the ratkilling was going on.

GabeU

I've seen numerous times where Glasswire says I've used a LOT more than HughesNet does, but this is only with regard to Windows Updates.  I'm assuming that it's a combination of compression and the computer only actually downloading the parts of the cumulative updates that it needs.  Whatever the case, I'll take it.  LOL.  

My desktop is directly wired, but when using my laptop with a wireless router I still don't keep it as metered.  Being that the Windows updates are about the only thing it does that I don't have control over, I don't mind it not being set to metered.

Now, if I could just figure out what's going on tonight.  LOL.  

Something else funny, though this may just fix itself, is that after I restored my desktop with the system image, I can't sign in to this community with IE.  I can just fine with Chrome, which is what I'm on right now, but when I enter my HughesNet credentials with IE it accepts them, but sign in to the community.  If, when I'm on the community after trying it, and I click on "myAccount", it automatically goes right to it, signed in and all, but for some reason the Hughesnet Community just isn't "catching" the sign in.  It's REALLY odd, but instead of worrying too much about it and getting a headache, I'll just use Chrome until it either fixes itself, or until I ask the Reps for help on Monday if it hasn't fixed itself by then.  

If it isn't one thing, it's another.  🙂 
GW
Advanced Tutor

I still can't sign into this funhouse with Chrome.although I can with IE.

I always use Firefox but the good part now is I can come in the front door rather than sneak in through GS. I'm still Greg here no matter how I get in once I leave my Hughes account.
GabeU

LOL.  The joys of the new Hughesnet Community sign on.  

Regarding the original topic, there MUST be something going on with Microsoft's servers, or something related to them.  I tried downloading a file from the Update Catalog and this is after seven minutes of letting it download...

Something is seriously amiss.   This is only happening with Microsoft updates and their catalog update site.  It even took almost two minutes for the download prompt to even come up for the file.  When I download from anywhere else, it's nice and fast, like always.  
GabeU

Woo hoo!  The updates are finally downloading.  Someone or something must have fixed the glitch, whatever it was.  The first three are finished and the KB3206632 update is downloading now, and it's not taking very long compared to past cumulative updates.  

Edit.  It's an hour later, and it's now finished.  It's about time.  Nearly twenty one hours total.  I'm out.  Tomorrow I'll try the laptop again and hopefully that will update with ease at the time.  Hopefully the second time's the charm.    
Amanda

Hi

Did the slow or basically standstill download problem (related to initial post) extend past the 16th for anyone?

Thanks
Amanda
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Can't really comment about that directly... But I have been having issues getting my WSUS to download updates on time... It's been going for over a week now trying to download 7GB of updates, never get any throughput, even during bonus bytes when it does have data allowance...  It's almost like it keeps timing out when connecting to M$.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Maybe they changed your Outroute ID? Sorry, couldn't resist.
GabeU

It did for me, and still is, but not the general slowdown that BirdDog had.  For me, it's only a problem with Microsoft updates.  I finally was able to update my laptop.  It took nearly nine hours.  This is after the nearly 21 hours with my desktop. 

I have a total of five updates for my Windows 8.1 notebook.  I tried the Windows Defender update, which was 11.5MB in size, and after three hours and 31%, I finally gave up.  I then tried one of the other updates, which was a little over 20MB, and again, after about two hours and less than ten percent, I gave up.  This is all while I can download Linux Mint 18.1 (1.7GB) in less than nine minutes. 

Absolutely nothing else is running slowly, just these darn Windows updates. 

I'm going to try to update my notebook at 4AM, when my speed is the absolute fastest it can be and the least people are online, not only with Hughesnet, but the US in general. 

Wish me luck.  A total of thirty hours with the desktop and laptop.  Hopefully I'll have better luck with the notebook when I try it again. 

BTW, Windows updates have always been slower than downloading/updating anything else, but marginally.  Not like this. 

Also, I've tried numerous things.  Directly connected, wireless, turning off web acceleration, etc., etc., etc.  Plus, I've tried numerous things suggested on the Microsoft Community.  I think I'm just going to have to deal with it until it "fixes itself." 

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

It kind of puts you in mind of the type of slowdowns and connection issues the Apple users have been seeing.
GabeU

Absolutely!  Perhaps Microsoft is getting picky about the latency or something, though, like with the Apple updates, the problem doesn't affect everyone on Hughesnet. 
GabeU

Well, I at least figured out the problem of not being able to sign in to the community using IE after the system image restore.  Well, I can't really say I figured out what was causing it, but I found the solution, anyway.  I reset IE, and now it works.  Of course, I had to go back and set up a bunch of things again related to IE, but at least I can sign in now using it. 
GabeU

Sure enough, I just got a call from my stepfather, telling me of two items of trouble with his laptop, one being the updates.  I fixed the first part, but he's having the same problems with Microsoft updates that I'm having.  His laptop has Windows 8.1, so it's mirroring the problem I'm having with my Windows 8.1 notebook, which I'm working on updating right now.  So far today it seems a little faster, at 85% of 292MB downloaded over the last four hours.  I may actually get it finished tonight.  Woo hoo!   

Edit (two days later):  Though it's now finished, the remaining 15% took longer than the initial 85%.  A little over eight hours in total for the 292MB.  Ridiculous!!!

maratsade

" there MUST be something going on with Microsoft's servers, or something related to them."
It's Microsoft. There's always something going on and/or messed up. 🙂
maratsade

My computer refused to download the update for several days, and finally it did and it all went well.  I guess someone finally fixed whatever problem they were having.