Hughesnet Community

Is discussing speeds other folks are getting not allowed?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
macsociety
Advanced Tutor

Is discussing speeds other folks are getting not allowed?

I consider myself one of the fairly level headed blokes here.  Asking questions when I have them and answering some when I think it can be helpful.  I just posted a question about what FAP speeds others are getting and it was marked as spam.  I have messaged the Mods asking them why it was deleted so I better understand why.

Meanwhile though, is it against policy to post what speeds we are getting and asking what others are getting.  

I am the type that is fairly level headed and don't wash my laundry in forums but I also don't sugar coats things either.  If I feel I am not getting great speeds, but just so-so, it is not OK to ask what others are getting so I can figure out if others are getting better in hopes I can improve on mine.  Maybe something is still not 100% with my connection here.

Curious.

TJ

8 REPLIES 8
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Most likely a glitch from the system.  I'm sure the mods can rescue your post from the spam folder and post it; or, if it was somehow in violation of something, they can tell you.

I had saved it so emailed to @Liz to see what in it trapped it as spam.

I see tons of posts about speed and such so threw me for a loop.

I did whine a little but not overly too much.

😉

I just had to reset my modem as I was not able to do even a 256k test at testmy.net.  

Reboot and I am back to my normal 1Mbps down during FAP.

TJ

maratsade

"I did whine a little but not overly too much."

It was within acceptable parameters. 😉

Glad your other post went through. Not sure why it got caught in the spam nets, as that usually doesn't happen to established posters. 

@maratsade wrote:

"I did whine a little but not overly too much."

It was within acceptable parameters. 😉

Glad your other post went through. Not sure why it got caught in the spam nets, as that usually doesn't happen to established posters. 

Actually that is a new one with no whines.

My 1st post is still gone and guessing @Liz can let me know next week why it was considered spam.

I did moan about 1Mbps download speeds during Fap when it was originally advertised it would be 1 to 3... so I was assuming I would sometimes get above 1Mbps which has never been the case.  And I said maybe Gen 6 will have faster FAP speeds that will handle low rez Netflix.  But in the whole post I was not mean just expressing my opinion while asking what other folks speed was.

Anyway, the new post was just that, question only.  😉

TJ

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@macsociety wrote:

And I said maybe Gen 6 will have faster FAP speeds that will handle low rez Netflix. 

Gonna be at least 2021 before you get that one answered according to this: https://www.multichannel.com/news/speedy-hughesechostar-broadband-satellite-hits-early-design-stage-...

GabeU

@macsociety wrote:

And I said maybe Gen 6 will have faster FAP speeds that will handle low rez Netflix. 

I've seen instances of people talking about being able to do this with Gen5, though it's been a while since I've last seen it mentioned.  

My speeds are good enough during off peak hours that it's entirely possible I'd be one of the few that may be able to do so, but I've never been in FAP with Gen5 (nor Gen4), and I'd have to burn through some valuable token data to even see, so it's doubtful that I'll ever find out.  I can say, though, that during peak hours it likely wouldn't work.  Especially lately, as my peak hour speeds have started to take harder and harder hits.  The nature of the satellite internet game, unfortunately.  😞 

@GabeU wrote:

@macsociety wrote:

I've seen instances of people talking about being able to do this with Gen5, though it's been a while since I've last seen it mentioned.  

My speeds are good enough during off peak hours that it's entirely possible I'd be one of the few that may be able to do so, but I've never been in FAP with Gen5 (nor Gen4), and I'd have to burn through some valuable token data to even see, so it's doubtful that I'll ever find out.  I can say, though, that during peak hours it likely wouldn't work.  Especially lately, as my peak hour speeds have started to take harder and harder hits.  The nature of the satellite internet game, unfortunately.  😞 

I am amazed of those that never go into FAP.  😉

I work from home so on internet all day.  Mostly web pages I have to access for work but some YouTube and a periodic Netflix, maybe 1 or 2 movies a month at best.

I used to be 1GB per day under Gen 4.  Now with Gen 5 it has become 2 to 2.3GB per day it seems, doing what seems to be my same method of operation as when I was on Gen 4.

I had adblockers running on all browsers.  I just don't have the time to analyze each and every device to see what uses the most.

Could be iOS devices draining it, but when I am off my main system the drain does not seem fast or large so I just think every day use of my main linux box does the most data...

I do dream of a day I don't need to worry about this.  😉

TJ

btw, I think we are so close to having it work.  Seems Hughes has locked in fairly well, at least recently, to hover at 1Mbps during FAP.  Almost enough it seems to stream Netflix... not YouTube though as that is always buffery.  But if they can ever retain around 1.5mbps furing FAP it will be not too bad for low rez.  I do dream of that.

I am not a big movie or streamer but is nice to watch a movie that does not buffer every few seconds.  Every now and then I seem to get through a movie during FAP w/o too bad of buffering and I can live with that.

I just equate satellite buffering with movie intermissions all for free and not charged.  Or mini potty breaks No need to hit the remote pause button.  LOL.

TJ