cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with wifi router connection

Highlighted

Issues with wifi router connection

I have a refurbished N300 netgear router that seems to have issues with connectivity. I'm kind of thinking the router may be bad because every couple days or so I have to literally reboot or turn the router off and back on and then it works again. Don't have to mess with the hughes modem. My speed is also soooooo slow! Do y'all think it's the router that needs to be replaced? Would an N600 or 750 be better and help with speed? I have the prime plus. Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Issues with wifi router connection

Hi agato,

Welcome and thanks for posting! I found this after a quick Google: http://routerguide.net/netgear-wnr2000-n300-wireless-optimization-guide/

However, I will defer to any community members here who have experience with that particular model router.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted

Don't have any experience with that router in general but it sounds like a possible loose/bad cable between the router and modem. I would switch that out first being the cheaper solution before replacing the router.
Highlighted
Junior

Hi agato,

You will have to make a determination on your router but his might be helpful.

1. Reboot your HN modem. (terminal) Unplug it from the wall, not the back of the unit.
    After plugging it back in, give it some time to update it's Software Download Status. (15 min or so)

2. Connect your computer DIRECTLY to the terminal. (no router involved)
    Determine now if you still have slow speeds. (malware in your computer could affect the results)

If your speeds are up then you know the router is causing you an issue. 
If you speed is still slow (and your computer is virus free) then post the serial number of your terminal (located on the bottom) so the Official Reps can look into your case and see what the problem is.
Do not post your SAN# (the one beginning with DSS)

Start an account and use the following link for your speed tests:
http://testmy.net
Use the manual 12MB size test.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Don  Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Yea, the first question would be is it faster with computer plugged directly into the modem, no router at all? That would tell you right away if the router is the main problem.