cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Late night/early morning speeds have plummeted...

Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Late night/early morning speeds have plummeted...


@cybercycle1 wrote:

I don't mean to highjack the thread, but wanted to let you (both Gabe and Liz) know that I have been experiencing the same issues relative to those issues presented by Gabe. 


Are you referring to the main issue of the 11PM speed drop, the file download speed discrepancy, or both? 

 

If the 11PM speed drop, please do get a few speed tests in straddling the 11PM hour, or whichever hour it's hitting for you, if you're able, to show them that it's happening to another person.  It hits right at 11PM Eastern for me, and goes from 40Mbps or so to 1Mbps or less in the span of two or three minutes, and nearly every night, though sometimes it's not quite as bad as of late.


Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Junior

Re: Late night/early morning speeds have plummeted...


@GabeU wrote:

@cybercycle1 wrote:

I don't mean to highjack the thread, but wanted to let you (both Gabe and Liz) know that I have been experiencing the same issues relative to those issues presented by Gabe. 


Are you referring to the main issue of the 11PM speed drop, the file download speed discrepancy, or both? 

 

If the 11PM speed drop, please do get a few speed tests in straddling the 11PM hour, or whichever hour it's hitting for you, if you're able, to show them that it's happening to another person.  It hits right at 11PM Eastern for me, and goes from 40Mbps or so to 1Mbps or less in the span of two or three minutes, and nearly every night, though sometimes it's not quite as bad as of late.


I'm referring to both.  I will be happy to run a speed test at 10 p.m. Central and probably after 2 a.m. as I am experiencing the "wall" for iOS updates between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m.  I'll post the results tomorrow. 

____________________________
U.S. Air Force 1967 - 1972
Freshman

Re: Late night/early morning speeds have plummeted...

I am running into the same issue. Last week, as an example, I downloaded a game on Steam @ 30Mbps. Tonight I am trying to download a game and getting 109Kbps. This slowdown is happening on all computers and devices on my network, whether wireless or LAN, and whether through my router or when plugged directly into the HughesNet modem via ethernet. I have reset the modem many times, reset the router, rebooted all devices, etc., etc. I am not running through a VPN. I am on the most expensive Business plan but was 10% away from hitting the max. So, thinking they might be throttling my speeds because I was nearing my max, I downgraded my plan, and then re-upgraded my plan, which resets my plan, and I am back at 250GB allowance. After all of the above, I still get the same slow-drip speeds. I have had email and browsing time out, and many times cannot do the most basic functions that require internet. It took close to 5 minutes (I timed it) to get to the HughesNet Community forums.
Freshman

Re: Late night/early morning speeds have plummeted...

In fact, my download speeds just dropped to 4.68Kbps. I literally would have better than a 10% increase in speed if I was dialed in on a 56K modem.
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Late night/early morning speeds have plummeted...

@grizzle 

 

Unfortunately, this support community is only for Residential subscribers.  The HughesNet reps here won't be able to help you.  

 

To get help, you should call 800-347-3272 for Business support.


Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Junior

Re: Late night/early morning speeds have plummeted...


@cybercycle1 wrote:

@GabeU wrote:

@cybercycle1 wrote:

I don't mean to highjack the thread, but wanted to let you (both Gabe and Liz) know that I have been experiencing the same issues relative to those issues presented by Gabe. 


Are you referring to the main issue of the 11PM speed drop, the file download speed discrepancy, or both? 

 

If the 11PM speed drop, please do get a few speed tests in straddling the 11PM hour, or whichever hour it's hitting for you, if you're able, to show them that it's happening to another person.  It hits right at 11PM Eastern for me, and goes from 40Mbps or so to 1Mbps or less in the span of two or three minutes, and nearly every night, though sometimes it's not quite as bad as of late.


I'm referring to both.  I will be happy to run a speed test at 10 p.m. Central and probably after 2 a.m. as I am experiencing the "wall" for iOS updates between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m.  I'll post the results tomorrow. 

 

 


At 9:55 p.m. the connection dropped completely and had to run WiFi connection to make this post. TestMyNet could not reconnect, so a speed test was not possible.  Waiting to see if/when a connection re-establishes, but won't stay up too long to check it.

 

EDIT:  At 10:09 the connection was re-established and I ran a speed test which registered 42.88 Mbps.  I'll try another test if I can wake up between 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. Sunday morning.

____________________________
U.S. Air Force 1967 - 1972
Freshman

Re: Late night/early morning speeds have plummeted...

GabeU, I do not need your direction. I will post whereever I please, and interact with any HughesNet customer I like, especially while I've been sitting on hold with Business Support, and do not need your permission.
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Late night/early morning speeds have plummeted...


@grizzle wrote:
GabeU, I do not need your direction. I will post whereever I please, and interact with any HughesNet customer I like, especially while I've been sitting on hold with Business Support, and do not need your permission.

First off, I was simply telling you how you can get the help you need.  Secondly, I didn't make any remark about you commenting on this thread, nor did I tell you where you could post.  

 

That attitude toward me was undeserved.

 

With this said, being that your issue appears to have nothing to do with the issue for which I am trying to get help, I'd appreciate it if you showed me the courtesy of posting elsewhere about yours in order to keep this thread from going off in an unrelated and unnecessary direction.  This thread concerns an immediate slowdown that happens at a specific time every night.


Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Late night/early morning speeds have plummeted...


@cybercycle1 wrote:

EDIT:  At 10:09 the connection was re-established and I ran a speed test which registered 42.88 Mbps.  I'll try another test if I can wake up between 2:00 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. Sunday morning.


Though the loss of connection certainly isn't good, that you were getting that speed not long after 10PM CST is pretty good.  I do occasionally see testmy lose connection too.  I don't know why it happens.  It doesn't really make any sense, as at the same time I can still use the net.  It's like testmy is seeing something it doesn't like, so it boots the connection.  That's just a guess.  

 

I meant to check mine again tonight, but to be honest, I've gotten so "used" to the slowdown that I now often forget to do so.  I just ran a test (11:48PM EST) and it came out at 6.6Mbps.  Tomorrow night I'm going to try to remember to run three right around 11PM EST.  I'm going to try to do one at two or three minutes before, one right at and then one two or three minutes after.  A few earlier in the evening too, probably, just for the sake of info.  

 

Normally it's not too bad because the speed is still good enough for most of the things I do, which is pretty much just browsing related, but when I really need the speed and it plummets, it's awful.  🙁

 

Hopefully they'll get this figured out soon.

 

Edit:  12:14AM EST.  9.3Mbps.  That's a little better.  


Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Junior

Re: Late night/early morning speeds have plummeted...

Moving forward from my previous posts and as promised, I ran tests around the 2 a.m. timeframe, but the tests would not complete. I got the initial download "burst" and then the download attempts would stop.  They would usually stop anywhere between 25% to 55% before stopping.  I was finally able to run tests starting at 2:28 a.m. and another at 2:36 a.m. before heading back to bed. Speeds had degraded significantly.  My last test was at 7 a.m. today with further degradation of speed.  Essentially, downloads are impossible to accomplish, especially those where I need the Apple download server.  Note, all tests were run while connected directly to the HN router (I'm on Gen 5) and with strong signal strength....WiFi was turned off.  I now have run tests for 22 hrs. where my tests can be found here: 

https://testmy.net/quickstats/cybercycle1

 

I am also including a spreadsheet pic of the tests completed.Screen Shot 2020-12-20 at 7.53.29 AM.png

 

____________________________
U.S. Air Force 1967 - 1972