cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latency and VPNs

Latency and VPNs

I initially signed up for a residential plan but became concerned because my main reason for needing the internet was for work so I called back before it was installed and spoke with HughesNet about that concern.  I didn't really even understand "latency" and how it impacted download speeds when working through a VPN until I called HughesNet again after a MISERABLE day of attempting to work from home and asked if there was a solution for the DRAMATIC drop in download speeds. The answer was no but this was never explained to me when I signed up for a business plan even though I was clear about my situation.  The sales rep sold me on the amount of data available during business hours and FAILED to educate me about VPNs and latency- I'm educated NOW but HughNet still insists I owe them a termination fee which I will vehemently fight.  NO ONE should be deceived about what a service can/cannot due especially when a concern is voiced BEFORE even beginning it. 
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Latency and VPNs

Hello Julie

Welcome to our community and thank you for your post. We're very sorry about all this confusion, but will definitely make an effort to escalate your case and see if your sales call is available for review. We should have all we need to locate your account, but will let you know if we need more information. I appreciate your patience while we look into this.

Thank you,
Amanda

Amanda,

This has been the WORST experiences I have EVER had with any service I have subscribed to.  When a sales rep does not take the time to EDUCATE a prospective customer about a concern that is brought to them and signs them up anyways (my guess is there is a commission involved) that is DECEPTIVE business practices and a company cannot contract someone under those circumstances.   

After reading several of the posts here as well as googling "HughesNet Complaints" regarding the experiences others have had, I intend to file a complaint with the state of Wisconsin and the BBB.   It is absolutely UNACCEPTABLE the tactics HughesNet uses to gain customers and then holds them hostage for a service that is not provided or is not capable of doing what is and SHOULD BE expected from an Internet Provider.  
Associate Professor

Go right ahead and contact the BBB and "The state of Wisconsin", Amanda was working on getting your sales call reviewed and she works at the Corporate offices.  Going those other routes will cause two things.  
#1: You will end up waiting longer, much longer for answers from Hughesnet, upto the maximum time frame that each entity allows.
#2: The outcome will be the same.

So, take your pick, go the long-route and get the same answer, or be patient.

That aside, in the subscriber agreement located here: http://legal.hughesnet.com/SubAgree-01-01-15.cfm

HughesNet service is available in the contiguous U.S. with an unobstructed view of the southern sky, and its usage is subject to the Fair Access Policy. Actual speeds vary based on the amount of traffic on the Internet, content on a particular Website, or by the overall performance and configuration of your computer. Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of service are not guaranteed. Actual speeds will likely be lower than the maximum speeds during peak hours.

All that aside, when it comes to ANY encrypted channel, and VPN's especially, speeds will be significantly slower on ANY internet connection than a non-secure system would be.  It's the nature of the beast, and latency doesn't have much of an impact unless you expect real-time results.

CORROSIVE- Butt out!  I did not ask for your commentary nor do I need it.  This post is being handled JUST FINE without your negativity.
Associate Professor

Hello Julie

Thank you for your patience. I was able to find your account and attempted to locate your sales call, however since you're actually a business customer I'll need to redirect you back to their support line for this situation. We generally only handle residential support here in our community, but if you are unable to have your case resolved through the correct channels in Business Support, I can speak with the business team here to have it escalated. The number for them is 1-800-347-3272

Again, sorry we were not able to resolve this matter for you but if you've filed a BBB complaint, you will be receiving a response within 30 days from our corporate officers.

Thank you
Amanda

Same with us. My wife is going to lose her job due to lack of VPN support.  When i first spoke with Hughes sales they said as long as I could hook to internet is should be fine. When problems started we contacted the tech support, (India based I think) and after many frustrating conversation with his broken English He said "they (sales) should not say we support VPN".  If we cannot get something worked out we will have to cancel our subscription and join the battle of fighting cancelation fees. I do not recommend Hughes net for people working from home or that use the internet more than casually during the day. 

Distinguished Professor IV

@blakebam40

Because this is an old thread, and to keep your issue separate, please create a new topic to receive help.  You can do so by clicking on the "Create a topic" button on the upper right while in the Tech Support section.

If your sales call was no more than 90 days ago you can request it to be reviewed by the reps to verify what was told to you.  If it's determined that you were misled, you may have recourse.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit