Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MASSIVE drain issue

Assistant Professor

Re: MASSIVE drain issue

There is also Millennium.

Honorary Alumnus

WOW, I couldn't even GIVE my retail version of ME away !

Alum

Funny...I think I had ME at one time also (came after Win 95 didn't it)? Truth be told I never noticed much difference with any version...guessing I'm finally getting the appeal for Apple products.
Distinguished Professor IV

Windows Me and the dreaded BSOD became synonymous. 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Been so many versions of Windows and I guess I never noticed any difference. I was running "Norton tools" at the time and it did a good job of dealing with that BSOD.
Distinguished Professor IV

I have used every version of Windows since 95 (with the exception of 2000 and NT) and ME was definitely the worst with the BSOD.  Once they came out with XP, which used the NT system, everything got MUCH better.  I haven't had one BSOD in 14 years (knock on wood).   

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Older than you I guess! Started with that "green screen" (MS DOS)...then Bill Gates adopted (stole")? the "GUI" and we got Win 3.1. I think since 1993 I have owned 6 computers, all operating on different versions of Windows.

Since the "shock" of that unexpected spike (that currently has me at 1% "anytime" remaining), I notice an increasing daily drain on what allowance remained. Haven't installed Glasswire yet but I'm sure it is Win10 related...I've also noticed that some web-sites get "choppy" and even if I close out the browser seems that things are still trying to run in the background. And then I wonder how much is consumed by embedded GIF's now common on a lot of sites. The "15/50" plan isn't cheap but seems it is not enough even for a house that doesn't download movies and doesn't dare to even launch a YouTube video. Frustrating... 

Thanks...I too was an "early adopter" (and ain't that young either). Earlier versions of Windows made it easy to control "updates". In Win10 I found the button to say "metered service" (buried in the "tools" menu) but I think that only controls the "install" (I don't recall an option to specify time)...that is relative "nothing" in terms of data usage (the damage has already been done because the package has been delivered). Nothing I have found let's me control the "download". I did search the question and see that it is a common complaint from people around the globe. But anyway...Win10 installs "Edge" as the default browser (guess they got tired of patching Win IE). Perhaps that is the problem? Would hate to migrate to Chrome (just because but if that's what it takes then so be it). Now one thing to add...I "hit the button" for "metered service" in Win10 recently...seems to have made it worse. HughesNet was kind enough to add some "token bytes" which I will be using to try to figure this out (which I will share).