cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message texting

MarkJFine
Associate Professor

Re: Message texting

Sometimes the issue is cause by a busted DNS. Powering down the modem by unplugging the power from the wall socket, waiting a minute, then plugging it back in will generally fix that.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

Cheers, Mark!

@MarkJFine wrote:

Sometimes the issue is cause by a busted DNS. Powering down the modem by unplugging the power from the wall socket, waiting a minute, then plugging it back in will generally fix that.

Michael57
Senior

iMessage is a very tolerant system and explicitly designed to handle high latency and breaks in connectivity.  The high latency caused by using satellite may affect total time to send/receive, but won't cause any problems whatsoever. 

Are you certain your phone is trying to send via iMessage and not SMS?  If your message bubble is green, it's using SMS and if it's blue it's using iMessage.

maratsade

"The high latency caused by using satellite may affect total time to send/receive, but won't cause any problems whatsoever. "

Speaking only for myself, this has not been so. With high latency and/or congestion, messages (EDIT: iMessages) often fail to send.

Michael57
Senior

iMessages do not fail due to high latency, period.  It's basically a giant asynchonous message queue, it's incredibly tolerant and resilient.  Most texts are very small and should be trivial, if you are sending attachments you can timeout, but that's caused by throughput not, latency.  Congestion and latency are very different, you can certainly have failures when Hughes is overly congested, but that's not a latency thing.

maratsade

I stand by my comment, though. It's based on my experience.