cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft at it again even worse

Highlighted

Microsoft at it again even worse

Microsoft has turned “nasty” in its campaign to coerce hundreds of millions of customers to upgrade to its Windows 10 operating system, a program critics condemn as privacy-invading, data-swiping and “brimming with freemium services and ads.”

Microsoft has been trying to lure computer users into its new operating system for months, bombarding them with unending pop-up screens. But many users are comfortable with the systems they have, have no interest in learning new operations and have simply clicked the “X” to get rid of the unwanted solicitation.

You can’t do that anymore.

Microsoft changed the coding on the “X” so that clicking it now instructs MS to “upgrade” your computer to Windows 10. Yes, really.

In fact, the two options on the page, “OK” and “Upgrade Now,” do the same thing as the “X.”

To avoid the forced “upgrade,” a user has to go into the fine print.

Inside a logo box in the ad is a scheduled date for a mandatory upgrade. The user must look in the tiny type just below that line and find where it says “here” and click on that to avoid the upgrade.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2016/05/bill-gates-of-hell-windows-10-hijacks-computers/#b10qC5YSEU1bDGZR.99
28 REPLIES 28
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Re: Microsoft at it again even worse

I just use this: http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

Haven't had to worry about that MS malware since. Good info though Gary, I'm sure many have already been duped, sadly.
Highlighted

Thanks for the heads up!

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted
Sophomore

Certainly will be interesting to see if they stop hassling people at the end of July.
Highlighted

Hassling is one thing absolute deception is another.  I just don't understand  what M$ is up to with this Windows 10 thing unless they are making tons of bucks in advertising.  I do think a blatant ruse like this should be illegal but it is M$ and they can get away with anything.  Maybe at some stage MAC and Linux use will grow even more and Microsoft will sink in their own muck.      
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

SaaS for OS's and data collection.

Soon, if not already, MS will have more data collected and available for "sharing" than Google.

I have spent thousands of $$$ in purchasing the full retail versions of Windows over the years.

They stopped making the product I needed with Win7

They have gutted the quality control to the point that a Win Update is as likely to cause issues than fix them.

The way they are jamming Win10 down our throats though is over the top.

I have tried Win10 on a test had drive and I don't like the lack of ability to schedule and select updates and just can not, will go along with them collecting and sharing data from what is supposed to be MY computer.

At the end of Win7,  Mint awaits.

Highlighted

I still have a Windows 10 Partition that almost never gets used I don't know why I even keep it.  I did use it for videos because Mint didn't rum video very well with NVIDIA Graphics but after I upgraded the KERNEL it works fine.  Mint is easy to use runs smooth and you can update when you want to.  I did have Windows 7 for a while it was OK but I still think XP was the best version of Windows ever.
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

Seems there may be a "reversal":

BBC: dirty tricks from Microsoft
quote:Microsoft has faced criticism for changing the pop-up box encouraging Windows users to upgrade to Windows 10.

Clicking the cross in the top-right hand corner of the pop-up box now agrees to a scheduled upgrade rather than rejecting it.

This has caused confusion as clicking the cross typically closes a pop-up notification.

Full story.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

It's as if they don't care that they are going to tick a lot of people off by using this sneaky tactic.  It doesn't matter if it's free for another two months.  A lot of people simply DON'T WANT IT.  Sheesh.

What's really sad is the vast majority of Windows users out there will never hear/read about this, so they will just click on it like always.  A despicable business practice.  

I like Windows 10, but I can certainly understand why more and more people are starting to dislike Microsoft.  These guys are sneakier than the White House Plumbers.    

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

They don't care, after all they are the mighty Microsoft. If they really cared they would give customers back total control over their updates in 10.