Modem lights flickef

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rita1
Freshman

Modem lights flickef

Hope you can help.  The bottom 4 lights on my 2000W modem flickef quickly and my computer shows no internet.  Sometimes unplugging it helps, sometimes not.  Other times all the lights burn steady and I have good internet.  Any suggestions?

Thanks, Rita

6 REPLIES 6
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

My understanding is the lights flicker when wifi is in use, and not when it isn't.  Are you getting a specific state code when you go to http://192.168.0.1/

GabeU

@Rita1 

The blinking of the bottom four lights is normal.  It means there's activity.  However, if the transmit light, which is the third from the bottom, is mostly off and blinking, that could indicate a problem. 

Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 5.38.58 PM.png

How are you connected to the modem?  If a LAN cable, try another cable, if you have one.  If via WiFi, and your computer is any decent distance away from the modem, and you're connected via the 5GHz band, try connecting to the 2.4GHz band to see if that makes any difference. 

Thanks.  In reading more and running your self test.. the problem appears to be with my laptop and not Hughesnet.  It was working fine and now only shows 2 bars or limited when trying to connect to WIFI, if it connects at all.  Phones have no problem connecting.  

GabeU

@Rita1 wrote:

Thanks.  In reading more and running your self test.. the problem appears to be with my laptop and not Hughesnet.  It was working fine and now only shows 2 bars or limited when trying to connect to WIFI, if it connects at all.  Phones have no problem connecting.  

You may want to check to see if there's a driver update available for the WiFi adapter in your laptop.  The best place to check would be the laptop manufacturer's website.

If it's connected via the 2.4GHz band and you're still having signal issues, you may want to look into a WiFi extender to give a better signal at the location of your laptop.  HughesNet also has their own WiFi Booster.  

https://my.hughesnet.com/shop/?_mpsource=Header&tab=OptionalServices&submenu=WiFiBooster

https://support.hughesnet.com/en/faq/internet/what-hughes-wi-fi-booster

Edit:  I should also add that there may be settings adjustments that can be made to the WiFi adapter that would help the signal to be stronger, though I'm not versed enough in WiFi to know what those adjustments might be.

Here is the situation..  In the same room with your WIFI router, I have 5 bars.  20 feet away, in a straight line with no obstacles, signal reduces to 2-3 bars.  27 feet away,  again, no obstacles, I have 2 bars and cannot connect.  What is different from 3 days ago, when it was penetrating 3 walls and connecting fine? at 30 feet?????

GabeU

@Rita1 wrote:

Here is the situation..  In the same room with your WIFI router, I have 5 bars.  20 feet away, in a straight line with no obstacles, signal reduces to 2-3 bars.  27 feet away,  again, no obstacles, I have 2 bars and cannot connect.  What is different from 3 days ago, when it was penetrating 3 walls and connecting fine? at 30 feet?????

Have you checked which WiFi band the laptop is using?