cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem lights go off completely and come back on.

Highlighted
New Poster

Modem lights go off completely and come back on.

Hi. I hope I can get some help here. I have been having an issue where ALL the lights on my modem go out and come back on slowly for some time now. Months. I have spent dozens of hours on the phone with HughesNet and still have the problem. This happens numerous times a day . I have had techs out twice-at my cost. They repositioned the dish the first time and regrounded the system the second time. Still the same problem goes on and on.  Things I have tried include power cycle bot modem and router, replace the router and cables, tried a different outlet, reset both the modem and the router and still the problem persists. I requested a new modem but was told that it would cost $174+. AND I don't own that modem AND I have to send the old one back so the fee does not make sense-I have paying for months for service that is more of a frustration than a benefit but we are very rural and our options are limited...I finally got to someone who said they could send another tech and replace the modern AFTER troubleshooting when it is down for fee, so I have to call when the system is down. I have tried that 2x's but by the time I finally get through the auto stuff and explain ALL OVER again what my situation is the modem is back up and running. Please help.
34 REPLIES 34
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Re: Modem lights go off completely and come back on.

Does the power light also go off? That would indicate a hardware  problem of some sort. Power supply, modem, cable, radio, etc.
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

A problem connecting to the gateway would only affect the transmit and receive LEDs.

A router to modem cable connection would only affect the top LAN LED.

Having all five LED's ... I would first check, if you haven't already, make sure that the DIN connector on the rear of the modem is pushed in ALL the way.

It goes in rather far and on some modems is very hard to seat completely.

Just to clarify, that will be the connector with the red circle around it:

Also be sure the coax cable is firmly tightened.

Beyond that the forum Mods will have to run remote diagnostics on your system to see what error codes are set.

Highlighted
New Poster

Yes, all cords, including the DIN connector are pushed in all the way. Thank you for the support and information. :-)
Highlighted
New Poster

Yes, all 5 lights go off, even the power light. Thank you for your help.....I guess I will be investing some more time on the phone. 
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

That really is about all you can do on your end.

I'm sure the Mods will be along shortly although this is Monday and they will be working on the weekend backlog of posts so please be patient.

Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

Frankly after having posted here in the Community I would skip the phone support at this time.

The Hughes employees here are at the corporate level and are VERY good.

Highlighted
New Poster

I actually did call and go through it briefly. The girl at tech support "reset" my modem. And within seconds it was out again. She transferred me to "Home Tech Support" who said within 2 minutes that it is a bad modem. HOWEVER they cannot schedule repair or replacement OR transfer me back to Hughes Net as they are a third party technical group. Now I am having to call back again. Ugh. I appreciate your support and quick responses here in community. 
Highlighted
New Poster

Gwalk900, Champion Thanks for your reply and support! When you say that you would not call and that Corporate is very good, doe that mean I contact them? Or they see this post and assist from there? 
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

They will see this post and reply,

They will also run remote diagnostics from their end to look at the modems internal logs.

They can if warranted send out a replacement modem or handle a tech visit if that is required.

They will respond as soon as they can and they WILL get your issue resolved.