cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Gen 5 Install Story

Tutor

My Gen 5 Install Story

***Mods, can someone PLEASE send someone back out here to take care of my shoddy pole situation.***

At least I mentally prepared myself not to get too overly excited (sigh). 

First, before I could even ask, they took one look at my Netgear R6400 AC1750 router

and said "as good as the HN router is, I'd keep what you have.  This (NetGear Nighthawk) router

the best one out there.  It's our favorite.  To which I replied, it's not a Nighthawk.  They insisted it was.

I dropped it.  It's not.  I think the next one up is a Nighthawk.  As much as they talked it up, I'm feeling like

they just wanted to do things the easy way. 

Now outside to the dish.  It's well documented in my case #s AND in this forum that they were to replace

the shoddy pole install.  My pole broke at the ground.  When an installer came to REPLACE it, he showed

up with no pole.  He just cut it at that ground and moved it over.  They said there are no notes that the pole was

to be replaced.  I do not have a pole that is set in concrete much less 30" in concrete with the little wing thingies

that keep it from turning.  While out there, one of the installers was showing the other how it (pole) wiggles Man Sad

There was a cable laying on top of the ground from the previous installer that "fixed" the pole.  The guys today

said we aren't supposed to do anything other than install the new modem and reaim the dish but we will just to be nice.

Back in the house one of the installers said that the pole I have out there now will NEVER rust, NEVER break Smiley Surprised

I said that's the one that broke!  He was shocked Man Frustrated

My wifi software, NetGear Genie, is only showing 2 of my 9 devices.  They all seem to be connected and working but gone from the software where I can manage the connections.

He did a speed test on speedtest.com.  I think it was 29Mbps...same as my Gen 4 of late but he said the system needed to reboot a few times to get everything set up just so-so.  OK.  I asked what my signal strength was.  102.  I knew from reading here or dslreports

that 102 was a GOOD number.  I showed them to the door and they were gone.  Went right back to the computer and looked at my signal strength...89.  I can't receive I didn't look at it with my own eyes when he said 102 Man Embarassed  OK, so it will go up after the system does all it's reboots.  That was about 5 hours ago and it's staying in the 89 to 90 range. 

Browsing speed IS faster but nothing like I was expecting.  I'm still experiencing buffering with videos but it IS better.  I'm on the 20GB plan.  The weather here today while they were doing the upgrade was sunny and clear.

If people would just do what they said they'd do and do it right the first time, it would surely cut down on customer aggravation and disappointment and un-necessary expense.  Mods, can someone PLEASE send someone back out here to take care of my shoddy pole situation.  For them to deny a new pole install AFTER agreeing with me that the previous guy didn't do it right and NOT install a new pole (when there were orders on my service call to replace the pole) makes me question everything they did.  Buy hey, they were nice Man Wink  I'd grade my install a "C" and that's being a bit generous.  Any help by HN would be greatly appreciated.

Monica

10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: My Gen 5 Install Story

That's unfortunate that your install wasn't what it should have been.  I really hope they can get this fixed for you.  Smiley Sad

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Tutor

Thanks Gabe.  I'm sure I'll get it straightened out.  It's just a pity it couldn't have been done right the first time.  By now I know how to play the game.  If corporate doesn't take care of their customer, the next stop is the B B B.  That gets their attention.  Just hope it doesn't come to that.  It's a hassle for everyone Smiley Sad  All I ask is that a company does what they say they'll do. 

Oh, I forgot.  I said something about disabling the built in wifi and they said that wasn't necessary.  I thought I read here or on dslreports that it was necessary.

Distinguished Professor IV

@monicakm wrote:

Oh, I forgot.  I said something about disabling the built in wifi and they said that wasn't necessary.  I thought I read here or on dslreports that it was necessary.

I don't know if the HT2000W's Wi-Fi would cause any conflict for your devices that are connected to your Netgear's Wi-Fi, or even cause a signal conflict between the two routers, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to turn the HT2000W's Wi-Fi off.     

BTW, if you got it, you can disregard the message I sent on DSLReports about your install.  It was just asking how it went.  Now I know.  Smiley Sad

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Hi monicakm,

Thanks for reporting back, I'm sorry as well as disappointed to hear this happened after I spoke with the installation department about your particular case. I'll let them know and request a complimentary dispatch to take care of the pole situation.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Tutor

@GabeU wrote:

@monicakm wrote:

I don't know if the HT2000W's Wi-Fi would cause any conflict for your devices that are connected to your Netgear's Wi-Fi, or even cause a signal conflict between the two routers, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to turn the HT2000W's Wi-Fi off.     

BTW, if you got it, you can disregard the message I sent on DSLReports about your install.  It was just asking how it went.  Now I know.  Smiley Sad

Gabe, when the installers told me I should keep my NetGear router, I asked them to please disable HN's wifi so there wouln't be any conflicts/problems.  They said there was no need...wouldn't be a problem.  Well now I can't see my devices AND just discovered I can't print from my wireless printer.  Also discovered last night that they had me set up as a public network. 

Tutor

@Liz wrote:

Hi monicakm,

Thanks for reporting back, I'm sorry as well as disappointed to hear this happened after I spoke with the installation department about your particular case. I'll let them know and request a complimentary dispatch to take care of the pole situation.

Liz, you are a life saver!  Thanks SO much!  I did everything in my power to make sure I had all the bases covered so everything would get done right the first time.    It's an imposition on everyone involved for them to have to come back out here.   I will be looking forward to a phone call and an appointment date.  Do you have any idea how long it might take?  Don't know if this is an option or not but the company HN sent out is from Plano, north of Dallas.  I'm 80 miles from Plano.  I called them to ask if they'd rather someone closer come out for the install but they said it wasn't a problem.  There are other companies in my area that wouldn't have to drive near as far to redo the pole.

Thanks again,

Monica

Tutor

Liz, things just went from bad to worse Smiley Surprised  I just looked on my account and see charges for the modem and install for a total of $48.  As you should be able to see, there was no charge for the modem (purchased or leased) and no charge for installation.  Hate to bother you again, but could check on this please. 

Hi monicakm,

My contact at the installations department created a new dispatch last night, and this morning I saw a lot of e-mails flying around with additional instructions and reminders for your high priority re-install--management is watching. The tech will reach out to schedule the appointment. 

I will also take care of that $48 for you, as this repair will be complimentary for you. Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Tutor

Yes ma'am, I will keep you updated.  Again, thank you for your help!