My Turn to Say Goodbye

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
monicakm
Senior

My Turn to Say Goodbye

It's finally happened.  Fiber optic speed Internet is in the building (house).  

(CIP uses high capacity, carrier-grade, fiber optic backbones in the areas that we serve. This means web browsing, working from home, VoIP, VPN, online gaming, and streaming video will be lightning fast.)

(CIP’s network provides Ultra-Low Latency (the amount of time it takes your packet of data to get from your computer to the destination). Performance is comparable to a fiber optic connections (20 milliseconds / 20 thousands of one second or less on average).

I've had my ups and downs with HN like everyone else (mostly ups) but at least I had Internet and for most of the 13 years, it's been a good to decent relationship...altho the maddest I've ever been in my life was with HN tech support.  To Liz and other corporate members, thank you for your help over the years.  And thanks to the forum members as well that have been helpful.  

7 REPLIES 7
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Congrats on getting fiber!  I wish I was so lucky to get that, but my state seems to be a bit backwards in such things.  I wish you the best of luck with your new ISP!

If you are using your own router, make sure you set the WAN settings on it up appropriately for your new ISP if you have changed any of them to be more useful on Hughesnet, such as the DNS settings and so on.

@C0RR0SIVE 

Thank you 🙂  I keep pinching myself to make sure it's not a dream 😉  And yes, I am using my own router.  I have no idea what changes to make.  I've made changes to settings over the years but my brain isn't what it used to be.  Would you happen to be able to direct me to a website or two that could tell me what I need to do?  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Hrm, have the installers for Fiber already been there or?  If they are scheduled to be there soon, they should be able to set it up for you.  

Yes, the install was completed yesterday.  Everything is working at warp speeds so I'm guessing they made some tweaks here and there but I know from my days of being a computer geek that there is always room for improvement 🙂

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Ditto with Corrosive.  Congrats!  You lucked out.  

I'm sure it's going to open up a whole new world of possibilities, especially with the streaming.  I envy you.  🙂 

Thanks Gabe.  I don't know of anything I'll do different (not taking up gaming!) but what I do will be done at lightning speeds 🙂  Plus absolutely no You Tube buffering.  And I thought my mobile connection was fast...this is MUCHO faster.  And all for $20 less per month. 

Good for you, and good luck to you!  Somebody was recently running a fiber truck line of some sort about 500'  from my house.  I talked to one of the workers, and he said it was telephone, internet, and everything.  He just worked for a contractor, and didn't know who contracted for the new line.  That was a couple of months ago, and so far, not a sniff of a FO ISP available.  I wait in hope!