My internet Speeds are so slow.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coreyellis1
Freshman

My internet Speeds are so slow.

I am not able to even get speeds above 0.50 kbps. I need help to fix this issue. I have called into hughesnet many times about this, but still with no fix. Please someone tell me how to get this corrected as soon as possible, Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

They are currently working hard to fix speed issues with several beams.  To get your specific issue looked at, you may want to create an account with Testmy.net and run speed tests.   It's best to connect to the modem directly (that is,via an ethernet cable) as this will provide more accurate results. It's also a good idea to run tests at different times of the day.

Here are the instructions usually given to users:

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns you should create a testmy.net account and, while signed into that account, perform a batch of 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that HughesNet will only accept testmy.net and the official HughesNet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY 

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

Hi Maratesade, 

Does it really make sense to advise users to run performance tests on beams that have known issues.  Does engineering need duplicate tests on these beams once they know there is an existing problem related to usage?  It seems to me that these tests will add to the usage issue.   Is it possible that some users are not running up against capacity issues on these affected beams?

From what I have seen there are capacity problems on the following Echo 19 beams:  46, 51, 54, 55, 66, 68, 72, 79, 81, 82.    If Tech Support can confirm this, it may be more helpful than having everyone on each beam submit their test results. That is unless there is some specific purpose to keep running tests.   

maratsade

"Does it really make sense to advise users to run performance tests on beams that have known issues. "

Yes, because that's the troubleshooting protocol. Whether we like it or not,  it's a required step....

I'm on beam 84

maratsade

I get the impression that the list of unaffected beams might be shorter than the list of affected beams.....  Smiley Surprised

Here's hoping for an engineering miracle.

Please add beam 83 to the list of problem beams, where I measured a pathetic 455 kbps just now.

This is obviously a general problem, and to blow off customers with the testmy.net routine is just evasive. HughesNet knows perfectly well the kind of speeds they're delivering. They can measure it as easily as we can.

What the dickens happened? I've been on Gen5 for eight months now. The first few months were fantastic. Now I'm lucky to get 10Mbps during the morning and 1.5Mbps at night.

maratsade

I get low speeds at all times, including bonus bytes time. It's been a long time since I saw anything close to 10 Mbps. 🙂 There's clearly an issue, and we were told the company is working to increase capacity, and that it will take time.

Speed tests are part of troubleshooting, and they're not difficult to run.

Wow.. I had no idea that there were so many beams affected.  Just watched the TV ad that tells potential customer they will get 25 Mbps.  Sigh, so sad.  That seems like a faraway dream right now.   Got my fingers crossed that development engineers find a solution soon.  I am sure that there must be alot of folks putting in alot of hours trying to find an out of box solution.  Anyone know where Hughes develolpment is sourced?  We could send positive vibrations that direction.

GabeU

When someone is having a problem and lists their beam, that doesn't necessarily mean that beam is a having a problem.  A beam problem is multiple users on a given beam experiencing speed issues over an extended period of time.  

Like Beam 55 and 68.  

grrbrts
New Poster

Same here! Why so slow I wonder?

maratsade

There are known issues with the system.  The company's working on them. It will take some time.

@grrbrts wrote:

Same here! Why so slow I wonder?